Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating iOS keeps failing, iOS after iOS update

Hi,

I've got a iPad Pro 10.5", bought in 2017, MQDT2NF/A, and since like iOS 12.(something early) I've been unable to update this iPad via the regular way. My best guess would be that one specific update started, but didn't end well (maybe power was cut and battery not full enough or so, no idea).

The last update into 13.6 went so wrong I needed to DFU-boot it. So I'd consider the system as fully reset already.

Though still, going to 13.6.1 I again can't update. Even on the 'Software update' panel it will do strange stuff, like giving all information about the update with a small text one time, and the next time it will give me the full explanation about 13.6 (but with the 13.6.1 numbers).

Downloading on the ipad itself gives random results:

* Sometimes it will say it can't download

* Sometimes it will not say anything, just not update

* Sometimes it will start the update, seem to do everything, but end not having installed the update

* Sometimes it will go full broken: need to DFU-boot it

Even updating via my MacBook won't gurantee it will work in a single try.

Anyone else experiencing this same issue and found a way to just wipe the bit that causes the problems?

note. If I'm finally able to update, the iPad works as we should expect it. Just the update gives issues.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 2:50 AM

Perhaps the support page will help:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Given your unsuccessful troubleshooting, you might be best advised to directly contact Apple Support. You’ll find the Contact Support link at top right of this page.

Alternatively, you can use the excellent Apple Apple Support to initiate a support case:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 2:50 AM in response to iAmWill_i_am

Perhaps the support page will help:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Given your unsuccessful troubleshooting, you might be best advised to directly contact Apple Support. You’ll find the Contact Support link at top right of this page.

Alternatively, you can use the excellent Apple Apple Support to initiate a support case:

Aug 14, 2020 6:28 AM in response to iAmWill_i_am

The “tools” are the support pages (open to all) or use of Apple Support (also open to all - for currently supported devices).

The only official software tool, made freely available, is the Apple Support App:

To my knowledge, there are no other official software tools to aid diagnosis of faults with iPad and iPhone.

The only third-party tools for diagnosing hardware issues are generally limited to assessing the state of the iPad battery (e.g., iMazing and Coconut Battery). Such tools are generally “paid” applications for PC/Mac.

If it is your only option - and you cannot, or will not, use the free services provided at an Apple Store - you may simply have to bite the bullet and spend money on paid support. Sorry.

Aug 14, 2020 3:42 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi Lotus,

thank you for your follow-up.

I've indeed tried to get more info using those 2 links, but didn't help me further. The iPad is from 2017, so Apple Support would charge me.

Is there no diagnosis tool I can run myself? If it's a hardware failure, it's a very strange one, but guess a diagnosis would find it :)

The logfiles of the failed updates keep mentioning that files seem to be corrupt (SHA-comparisons failing), what could indicate some of the memory is failing, maybe a reserved part of memory only used during an update?

Updating iOS keeps failing, iOS after iOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.