Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring damaged library from backup xml file

Please help, I am trying to restore my library and playlists from xml file after itunes crashed and damaged my itl library files.

The problem is every time I try to import the xml file iTunes crashes again just before completion. It imports for about 3 hours (278MB file) and playlists start to re-appear but then it crashes and when I go back in all progress is lost.

I have read the XML file and everything is there and looks fine, all the music files are in the same places as listed there. I am stuck why itunes won't accept it and would be very grateful if one of the experts here have any ideas?

Many Thanks, Graham

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 8:24 AM

Yes, Norton may well be the issue. I'd recommend trying to restore from the .tmp file as I've covered in one of your three other posts on this topic as if it works this will restore the date added values which otherwise get reset with an XML import. Either way add an exclusion into Norton for your iTunes folder and all its subfolders, and your iTunes Media folder too if it is on a different path.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2020 8:24 AM in response to gmrfrye78

Yes, Norton may well be the issue. I'd recommend trying to restore from the .tmp file as I've covered in one of your three other posts on this topic as if it works this will restore the date added values which otherwise get reset with an XML import. Either way add an exclusion into Norton for your iTunes folder and all its subfolders, and your iTunes Media folder too if it is on a different path.

tt2

Aug 15, 2020 7:27 AM in response to gmrfrye78

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community for general recovery advice. I don't know what would trigger the failure of an XML import, or why what had been successfully imported on the way wouldn't show afterwards. Are you perhaps running 3rd party anti-virus software? This should be excluded from real time scanning of the iTunes folder or it can disrupt the way that iTunes updates the .itl files, and may potentially be why you're in your current position. Also make sure that you're working with a renamed copy of the XML file, as things will likely go wrong if iTunes is configured to generate an XML file with the same name as the file you're importing.

tt2

Aug 15, 2020 7:48 AM in response to turingtest2

I am running Norton 360, do you think that would affect the import? I have checked the firewall settings and itunes is listed as one of the allowed programmes.

I also wondered why it didn't show everything it had managed to import instead of just closing down completely.

You're right, yes my back up xml does have the same name that itunes uses when it automatically makes one, I will try importing it with a new name. It is currently inside the itunes Media folder on my current hard drive, is that the correct position?

Aug 17, 2020 5:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much for all your help, very pleased to say that after trying about 60 temp files of about 670 and nearly giving up I finally found one that restored my library and playlists, it was a much smaller size than I expected, only 55MB, so quick once you find the right one. I will be careful to fully back up my itunes in future inluding itl files and probably also use something like TuneSync as you suggest.

Thank you also for making the Transform XML program in the past which I found on an old thread, now I have a separate written record of my library which was something I always wanted for safekeeping.

I added my itunes folder to the exclusion lists on Norton, although neither that nor renaming the xml file worked, why itunes wouldn't accept the xml remains a mystery but luckily it doesn't matter now.

A shame that serious itunes experts like yourself are very hard to find. My regular computer engineer is good but he knows nothing about itunes or looking for solutions and just told me I should start the library again from scratch lol. Very glad it didn't come to that.

Best Wishes, Graham Frye

Aug 17, 2020 7:58 AM in response to turingtest2

Glad I stumbled across it, during the last few days I think I've read every page on the internet about itunes lol. As I'm sure you remember Transform XML lays everything out so neatly in readable English, first the loose tracks A-Z and then underneath all the playlists with headings and content, I found it very interesting and useful. I was thinking at that time that I might have to rebuild everything manually from that as I couldn't possibly remember my whole library off the top of my head. If anyone wants to save all their playlists written out I recommend it.

Restoring damaged library from backup xml file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.