Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 drops WiFi Calling

I have searched but there is little found on this problem. I live in a UK location that has no mobile connectivity from any network provider. Therefore it is most important for me to be able to use the WiFi calling feature of of my phone.

I have been using WiFi Calling successfully for a long time on my old iPhone 6 but when I moved to an iPhone 7 my problems started. Suffice to say that I have spent many hours researching a solution to this problem. Basically the iPhone 6 with the latest software (ios 12.xx) works perfectly. The iPhone 7 with the latest software (ios 13.xx) drops WiFi calling all the time. Unless there is a hardware fault on the phone I suggest there is a serious issue with ios 13?

Any help appreciated as I would be very lucky in the UK to get any support.

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 4:47 AM

9 replies

Aug 15, 2020 12:05 PM in response to barryfromwellsUK

Hello barryfromwellsUK,

Wi-Fi calling is a great feature to utilize when there's no cellular connection. It sounds like you've experienced some dropped calls while using the feature. We're happy to help. First, we'd recommend checking your current area for any Wi-Fi interference with the help of the article here:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

If the issue continues, there are some steps you can complete directly from your iPhone. The article here has the steps:

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

Specifically, the steps located at the bottom of the article:

"If you can't turn on or use Wi-Fi Calling, make sure that your carrier offers Wi-Fi Calling and that your devices have the latest software. Then, follow these steps if you can't turn on Wi-Fi Calling or make a Wi-Fi call. Wait two minutes before you go from one step to the next.

1. Go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling and make sure that Wi-Fi Calling is on.
  2. Restart your iPhone.
  3. Connect to a different Wi-Fi network. Not all Wi-Fi networks work with Wi-Fi Calling.
  4. Turn Wi-Fi Calling off and then on again.
  5. Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings."

Let us know if you need any additional assistance!

Aug 15, 2020 5:07 PM in response to barryfromwellsUK

Thanks for the information barryfromwellsUK,

We appreciate providing the details of the steps you've already completed. To clarify a bit, when connected to a different Wi-Fi network did the feature work as expected? If so, do you know if your current ISP has any limits on Wi-Fi connected devices? Also, does the issue occur with calls made from the FaceTime app or other third-party apps for calls? Let us know, and confirm if you've also completed a normal restart of your Wi-Fi router, and viewed recommended settings outlined here: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Keep us posted. We'll continue to assist.

Aug 17, 2020 2:04 PM in response to barryfromwellsUK

Hi barryfromwellsUK,

Thank you for your reply.

Is your current mobile carrier listed as having the option for the Wi-Fi calling feature? The article here can help you check: Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone If so, do both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 utilize the same mobile carrier?

Additionally, are you ever seeing an overall Wi-Fi connection issue on your iPhone 7? For example, no access to the internet, iTunes, or App Store?

Aug 15, 2020 12:21 PM in response to chris_g1

Thank you for responding. There is little WiFi interference here in this rural area, I am the only one visible on the channel I am using. I have previously used WiFi calling on this phone when it works (not often).

In reply to your suggestions: -

1. WiFi Calling is on.
  2. I have restarted my phone numerous times trying to resolve this issue.
  3. I have tried another WiFi network, however WiFi Calling works perfectly here on my old iPhone 6 running ios12.xx
  4. I have turned WiFi calling on and off many times.
  5. I have reset my network settings several times.

I have tried everything suggested in internet searches but without resolution. I have spent quite some time investigating this issue.

The fact that my old iPhone 6 on ios 12.xx works perfectly and my iPhone 7 using ios 13.xx does not appears to me that the problem is with the iPhone 7 hardware or ios 13.xx?

I also have battery life issues with this phone but have not mentioned it before as it is a side issue to me.

Aug 16, 2020 5:19 AM in response to bailier

No it did not, it has the same issue regardless of which WiFi connection. My iPhone 6 works perfectly with my WiFi network, WiFi Calling and Isp, the Iphone 7 does not. I have not checked any other app (inc Facetime) as this issue is not a WiFi issue per se but a WIFI Calling issue. The WiFi continues to work perfectly when I cannot get WiFi Calling. I get 'No Service' but the WiFi is working.

Aug 18, 2020 11:54 AM in response to Brian_P7

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions, Yes my my mobile carrier has the WiFi calling feature and both phones used the same sim and network for my tests. WiFi is generally good but as you can see from my previous post I sometimes have drop outs on the iPhone 7.

I visited my Apple shop today and hardware and software diagnostics were made on the phone. Nothing showed up as an issue. The phone was then had its software reinstalled as new. Currently it is sitting here working, I will test it for a day or two before restoring it to its previous state with regard to apps and data just in case something there is problematic?.

iPhone 7 drops WiFi Calling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.