Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display USB Hub Issues

After my purchase of a 2020 13" MBP, I began having issues with nearly any USB device that is plugged into the USB Hub on the back of the Thunderbolt Display (A1407). The issue is most notable with any USB Audio device I have connected, as it manifests as either choppy audio or cut outs, regardless of source.

When I connect my old 2012 rMBP, using the same USB peripherals, I do not experience the issue. I have a new Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, and I have returned/swapped for a different one to ensure that the adapter is hopefully not the issue.

dmesg is full of IOAudioEngine, IOAudioEngineUserClient, and AUDIO OFFLINE messages. The issue is easiest to track using an audio device, but I have experienced the issue on a USB keyboard connected to the Thunderbolt Display, 5-7 seconds of typing did not appear, did not buffer, etc.

I have contacted Apple support, but performing remote troubleshooting is difficult. I have performed NVRAM reset, ensured the MBP is updated.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 10:34 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Thunderbolt Display USB Hub Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.