Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Late 2013) starts with a folder with question mark

Lately, I started getting folder with question mark on starting the my Macbook Pro. I used to then go to recovery mode and mount the hard disk and then on reboot it used to work fine. Since it was out of warranty so took to a 3rd party repair and they said that hard disk has issue and need to be changed. But now after that also its same issue.

My observation is that, once the disk is mounted then even if you restart multiple times the issue does not happen but if you shutdown the laptop for an extended time like 6hrs etc and try to reboot then the issue happens.

Anyone has any idea ?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 1:49 AM

Could it be - the old cable to the hard drive - was also in need of replacement?

One of a few possibilities which would compromise the macbook/pro similarly.

The rest of instructions for 'question mark startup' haven't changed in 5 months.

{Unless you've left out an important detailed step in restoring mac from Q: mark.}

• If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

Can't say as I've offered much more than you've already stated; a bit more or less?!

Take care & good luck!🌻🐝

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2020 1:49 AM in response to askharche

Could it be - the old cable to the hard drive - was also in need of replacement?

One of a few possibilities which would compromise the macbook/pro similarly.

The rest of instructions for 'question mark startup' haven't changed in 5 months.

{Unless you've left out an important detailed step in restoring mac from Q: mark.}

• If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

Can't say as I've offered much more than you've already stated; a bit more or less?!

Take care & good luck!🌻🐝

Macbook Pro (Late 2013) starts with a folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.