Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro freezing up/ ETRecheck report

I upgraded the Catalina to latest version and MacBook Pro started freezing up; went through the motions of NVRam, PRam, SMC, Reinstall of OS, etc. with Apple Support. When all failed, I formatted the hard drive and only after several tries reinstalled the OS. Several tries because in doing all these PRams and NVRams and what have you, the screen became psychedelic. Now, I have a Mac that is taking 2 minutes to load an app or 30 seconds to switch from one browser tab to another and the screen has psychedelic bands. Here is the ETRecheck report. Any help will be greatly appreciated as my Mac is basically unusable at this time.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 4:41 AM

Hi,

It seems to me, there is no problem, at least software related issue.

Try to run Apple Diagnostics if it reports something which is hardware related issues.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 16, 2020 12:16 PM in response to VAtl

Try running the Apple Diagnostics.

Since you have no third party software installed it appears you have some sort of hardware issue. The SSD speed is horrendously too slow. This could indicate an issue with the SSD or it could indicate a power issue with the laptop. What is the condition of the battery? Option-click on the battery icon on the menubar to check the condition. If it says "Service Battery", then it means there is an internal fault with the battery and is likely causing your problems.

Unplug your charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry. If that doesn't help, then repeat the process and try connecting the charger to a USB-C port on the other side of the laptop. Also try using another electrical outlet for the charger.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204652

If you still have issues, then try using another 87W charger or have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine your laptop and provide a quote for the repair.

Aug 17, 2020 1:50 AM in response to kaz-k

Thank you. I tried this and it says there might be an issue with the SMC controller.

Since it is out of warranty, I called a non-authorized service center to ask about repairs and they said they don't touch the 2017 model as the model itself has too many issues. Which I can confirm since the display has been changed once and the keyboard twice within the warranty period of this Mac.

Aug 17, 2020 7:55 AM in response to VAtl

If there is an issue with the SMC controller, then that is definitely a Logic Board issue which I was suspecting is causing the power issues especially and you have now confirmed the battery condition is fine (along with the diagnostic not reporting a battery issue). It is hard to say whether the Display issue is caused by the same Logic Board issue or whether the Display also needs replaced for a separate issue.

FYI, if there is a power/charging issue it will cause the CPU to run at base speeds which is typically just 800MHz instead of ramping up the speed to 2.5+ GHz for normal system usage. Plus if there is a power issue it could also affect the speed of the SSD as well.

Sorry I couldn't provide better news.

MacBook Pro freezing up/ ETRecheck report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.