Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't manually add artwork to Music (iTunes for Mac)

I'm unable to manually add artwork to a song. The song file is MP3. I choose Get Info for the song, and have tried two methods of adding: 1) use the Add Artwork button; 2) copy and paste directly into the Get Info Artwork pane. Both methods show the artwork, but when I select OK, the artwork isn't shown. When I open back up Get Info, the artwork that was previously there is no longer present.

Music version 1.0.6.10

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 5:15 PM

turingtest2 - thank you! The problem, inexplicably, was the Airplay thing you mentioned in that linked document. While this solved my immediate problem, it's clear that this should be considered a bug in the Music app. Thanks so much for the assistance.

AirPlay
iTunes, or Music in Catalina, might not be able to save changes to tags while AirPlay is active.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 5:15 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 - thank you! The problem, inexplicably, was the Airplay thing you mentioned in that linked document. While this solved my immediate problem, it's clear that this should be considered a bug in the Music app. Thanks so much for the assistance.

AirPlay
iTunes, or Music in Catalina, might not be able to save changes to tags while AirPlay is active.

Aug 17, 2020 12:27 PM in response to Kobukak

Hello Kobukak,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your question that you are having issues changing the album artwork of your music. We can certainly help you with this!

To clarify, is this happening with one specific song, or does it happen with all songs?

Try clicking the artwork that you see currently in Get Info > Artwork, and then delete it. Then try re-adding it. Does that work?

If not, have you tried clicking Apple menu () > Restart and testing again?

We hope this is able to resolve your issue. If you have any more questions or this does not resolve your issue, please reach back out on the thread!

Cheers.

Aug 18, 2020 2:26 PM in response to chrisg_01

Hi chrisg_01 - thanks for your comments and clarifying questions. Some responses:

"To clarify, is this happening with one specific song, or does it happen with all songs?"

I am unable to add or update album art on any items in my library. In testing this more, I also realized that I apparently can't update any metadata. For example, I attempt to change the name of the song. It initially accepts the change when I close the Get Info window, but then subsequently reverts to the old song name.

"Try clicking the artwork that you see currently in Get Info > Artwork, and then delete it. Then try re-adding it. Does that work?"

There is no artwork initially, so there is nothing to delete.

"Have you tried clicking Apple menu () > Restart and testing again?"

Yes, restarting the computer does not resolve the problem(s).

Can't manually add artwork to Music (iTunes for Mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.