Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone’s Face ID stopped working recently and you’ve been unable to reset it??

My Face ID stopped working a couple days ago. I tried resetting it but it doesn’t seem to want to read my face. It tells me to position my face in the frame higher then lower then higher then lower then higher etc til it times out and tells me Face ID unavailable. I tried moving to brighter light, moving phone towards me, away from me, restarting and nothing changes, same higher lower message then times out. I checked the settings in the Face ID and don’t see what the issue is. Any ideas?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 7:02 AM

Add an alternate appearance

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you. You can't create a new appearance if you're wearing a face mask.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 7:02 AM in response to IZO2

Add an alternate appearance

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you. You can't create a new appearance if you're wearing a face mask.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

Sep 1, 2020 5:41 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your answer however that did not work either. For some reason when i'd try to set up the FaceID, it would take me to the screen to scan my face and I would put my face in the frame and it would say to raise it higher then lower it then raise it and so forth until i guess it timed out then would say that FaceID is not available try later. I had deleted my current FaceID then couldn't set it up again. I restarted the phone and it still wouldn't allow me to set it up.. I got the same raise it lower it run around I couldn't set up an alternative FaceID either. I ended up going to the Apple store and they ran diagnostics and found there was a problem with phone.

Has anyone’s Face ID stopped working recently and you’ve been unable to reset it??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.