Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Restarts Suddenly

My iMac got freeze and restarted from time to time but I thought that the issue was just an "old machine" dealing with several Adobe applications open at the same time.

Sadly, seems like this restarts episodes are increasing… Certain time after I turn on the iMac, it gets freezes and restart…

I checked the HD with Disk Utility and everything come back OK; should I reinstall iOS?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Please find below the last EtreCheck report:

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 3:51 PM

Have you blown the dust out of the intakes lately?

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 3:51 PM in response to Hummin

Have you blown the dust out of the intakes lately?

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Aug 19, 2020 3:23 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks so much for keeping track!

I didn't stablish a pattern yet; I noticed that this re-started episodes were increasing over the time but I thought that the reason was having several programs open at the same time. However, over the last months I realize that this re-start are occurring few moments after turn on the iMac and after sleep.

In fact, I had a very strange situation… Yesterday I tried to re-install the OS (El Capitan*) but wasn't successful. The internet was OK (I use Ethernet wire and/or Wifi) and the Hard Drive seems OK from Disk Utility but I got an error message that said something like "can't find packages"). I tried also to launch the iMac from El Capitan pen-drive but it couldn't find it…

It got worse when the computer entered a "loop" (Restart > El Capitan installation fail > Restart) so I had no choice but make Time Machine back-up which took 4 hours…

Should I be worried about the Hard Drive although Disk Utility says is OK?

*My iMac is from 2009 so seems like El Capitan is the most updated OS it can handle.

Aug 17, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Hummin

Delete this file & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Aug 20, 2020 11:12 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks so much for your quick answer! Although I usually blow the dust from the cavities (like RAM opening at the bottom, hole at the back, etc) I only had opened the machine once in these 10 years… Seems like I should blow the dust more "aggressively" and/or try to open the machine.

I installed MacFansControl now because, again, the iMac re-started suddenly after I turn on. These are the lectures I get without make any change (19:30 pm, 30-32º outside).

I never use this app before; if I understand correctly I should increase the speed of the fan, is it correct? Thanks in advance!

iMac Restarts Suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.