Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when adding Apple ID to IMessage

Good Afternoon,

Background: I have my phone number attached to iMessage. Under IMessage settings, when I click "Use your Apple ID for IMessage" and click "Sign in", I get an error message saying "An error occurred during activation. Try again."

I am doing this so I can use IMessage on my Mac. I get this error message on both my phone and Mac.

Any advice on how to fix this will help!

Thanks,

Grayson

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 12:25 PM

IOS

Messages - If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime.    

Messages Troubleshooting.   

Some other things you can try. Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.      

If necessary

Hard reset.        

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.      

OS

Messages - If you can‘t sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac.    

Message activation error.    

Error Occurred During Activation for iMessage or FaceTime on Mac

Both

Have someone else attempt to sign in using their Apple ID. If they can successfully sign in and use Messages/FaceTime, it may be your Apple ID. Someone I know had this happen and I was able to sign in using my Apple ID. After a call to Apple Support and then being elevated to a tier 2 support person, it turned out it was a problem with their Apple ID. It took the software engineers 3-4 days to fix the problem. When calling Apple, make sure you tell them it is an Apple ID problem so you don't get charged.

You can also try signing in on another device/computer. There have been a couple of posts where people's device/computer was blocked. You will need to contact Apple for that problem also.

There is a contact link.

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (The link doesn’t always load)

Get Support     Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 12:25 PM in response to grayson232

IOS

Messages - If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime.    

Messages Troubleshooting.   

Some other things you can try. Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.      

If necessary

Hard reset.        

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.      

OS

Messages - If you can‘t sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac.    

Message activation error.    

Error Occurred During Activation for iMessage or FaceTime on Mac

Both

Have someone else attempt to sign in using their Apple ID. If they can successfully sign in and use Messages/FaceTime, it may be your Apple ID. Someone I know had this happen and I was able to sign in using my Apple ID. After a call to Apple Support and then being elevated to a tier 2 support person, it turned out it was a problem with their Apple ID. It took the software engineers 3-4 days to fix the problem. When calling Apple, make sure you tell them it is an Apple ID problem so you don't get charged.

You can also try signing in on another device/computer. There have been a couple of posts where people's device/computer was blocked. You will need to contact Apple for that problem also.

There is a contact link.

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (The link doesn’t always load)

Get Support     Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport

Error when adding Apple ID to IMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.