Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV+ won't stream in Safari on my Mac

I'm trying to stream content from tv.apple.com/ca on my Mac in Safari. I'm signed in with my Apple ID, and it will play the trailers without a problem. Trying to play any actual content though just produces a black screen with a crossed out "play" icon. I'm on OS El Capitan (10.11.6). Any ideas?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 3:26 PM

Rexcini,

We appreciate you going through those steps and getting back to us. The results definitely seem unexpected. It's hard to say exactly what caused that behavior, but we'd like assist further.

To isolate the computer issue, a new user account can be beneficial. This ensures there are not any user-specific settings or configurations causing issues. You can create a new user with these steps: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

The steps are not specific to El Capitan like you have but they are are similar.

If it still happens, the Apple TV+ team would be in the best position dive further into this with you. Contact them here: Get Support

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 3:26 PM in response to Rexcini

Rexcini,

We appreciate you going through those steps and getting back to us. The results definitely seem unexpected. It's hard to say exactly what caused that behavior, but we'd like assist further.

To isolate the computer issue, a new user account can be beneficial. This ensures there are not any user-specific settings or configurations causing issues. You can create a new user with these steps: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

The steps are not specific to El Capitan like you have but they are are similar.

If it still happens, the Apple TV+ team would be in the best position dive further into this with you. Contact them here: Get Support

Take care!

Aug 19, 2020 11:40 AM in response to Rexcini

Hey there Rexcini,

We understand that the Apple TV+ streaming website is only working for trailers, and the actual content will not play. We'll be happy to help.

To begin, we'd recommend going through the steps here: If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

This will guide you through a few things like checking extensions and Parental Controls. The section titled "If Safari doesn't load pages from a specific site" will be useful as well.

If the issue persists after these steps, we'd also like to have you try using a different internet connection if possible. Alternatively, try leaving the black screen up for a few minutes to see if it loads.

We hope this helps. Cheers!

Aug 19, 2020 1:05 PM in response to Leanne_68

Thanks for your reply! The mystery deepens...

I tried all of those steps, with no luck. I have no extensions in Safari so that was short. When I tried troubleshooting around a different internet connection, things got really strange.

I tried watching on my iPhone instead, using Safari instead of the TV app, and got a "There was a problem loading this content" error. When I tried watching the same content on the app, with the same internet connection (not cellular data), it worked. When I closed that and tried it again on Safari, it worked this time. Meanwhile, on my Mac, leaving the black screen up to see if would load resulted in the Mac rebooting (it doesn't do this every time, usually it just sits there).

Is there any chance this is some kind of DRM test near the beginning that my iPhone passed by streaming it on the app, so that it worked afterward on Safari? I don't have the option of doing that on my Mac, as the TV app isn't available on El Capitan. I don't think it's the internet connection, since Safari on that connection will work on my iPhone. Strange stuff...

Apple TV+ won't stream in Safari on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.