Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 MacBook Pro Not Left Clicking

I have a 13” late 2013/early 2014 MacBook Pro. The trackpad works fine except it won’t left click. This is also true for any external USB mice I have tried, and the double touch also isn’t functional. I have read that it may be a hardware issue where the battery bulges and puts pressure on the track pad, so to be safe I replaced the battery but the problem remains (which is incredibly frustrating as the process involved two hours of work and $100 for the kit).

I have tried many of the tricks that are commonly prescribed: rebooting the computer, closing the lid for a few minutes, and deleting relevant mouse/trackpad preference files. Is there anything else I can do to try to fix this? I really really don’t want/can’t afford to buy a new laptop.

Many thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 6:14 AM

Please check if you have same issue in safe mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 6:14 AM in response to Gracemagdalen

Please check if you have same issue in safe mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

2014 MacBook Pro Not Left Clicking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.