Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP scanner driver for Catalina

New HP ScanJet 3500 f1 has USB connect errors (iMac 2017 Catalina). Unplugging USB and plugging back in usually results in connection. HP Easy Scan sees my HP ScanJet 3000 s2, but fails in connection. Vuescan does not work properly with the 3500, noting there may be driver problems. HP tells me that Apple wrote their own drivers for HP.

HP support tells me that this new scanner has old firmware (!), but there is no Mac firmware installer. There is only a Windows installer, that "should run" on my Mac. That's a great way to trash my iMac.

Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 9:43 AM

I agree, a bad cable can cause these problems. If that fails, you might also doing a restart in the Safe Mode. (Hold down the Shift key at startup.) This can take up to 10 minutes to complete and fixes a number of things. Then you can see if the problem is still there. If not, then restart and see what happens. It's worth a try to see if it helps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 9:43 AM in response to alaz0

I agree, a bad cable can cause these problems. If that fails, you might also doing a restart in the Safe Mode. (Hold down the Shift key at startup.) This can take up to 10 minutes to complete and fixes a number of things. Then you can see if the problem is still there. If not, then restart and see what happens. It's worth a try to see if it helps.

Aug 19, 2020 8:08 AM in response to alaz0

Try Image Capture; it is already installed as part of OSX. I gave up on all the "bundled" scanner software years ago and have been able to do all I need with Image Capture.

Scan images in Image Capture on Mac - Apple Support

Perchance your scanner is networkable? Our Epson MF has an ethernet port and I find ethernet connectivity far more reliable than USB.

If the problem persists with Image Capture and you are limited to USB, try changing cables. The are a lot of poor quality cables out there.

Aug 19, 2020 10:52 AM in response to Ronasara

Thank you. The 3500 is not network capable; the 4500 is network capable but costs much more, so I stayed with the USB. It's a good idea for my continuing conversations with HP

HP sent me a new cable, but it did not fix the problem; nothing changed. When I was trying to debug it all, I did restart and log in in Safe Mode. No change, but after messing with this, and HP on the phone, I will try that again.

HP upper level tier support could not figure it out, and I'm plenty tech-capable with hardware and software. HP asked me to return it for evaluation or replacement. I gave it to FedEx an hour ago.

In the meantime, I re-connected my older ScanJet 2500 f1 and will play with it for a while, as I wait for HP's evaluation.

I'll repost here if something changes using your suggestions.

Aug 20, 2020 4:45 AM in response to Ronasara

Yes, I did try Image Capture; same results as with Easy Scan. After discussion and debugging with HP support, they asked me to send the ScanJet 3500 f1 back to HP for testing; they will have it tomorrow. I put my old ScanJet 2500 f1 back on my system, and except for the streaked images, it did not have the same problems as the 3500. I have thought about taking the 2500 apart and cleaning the flatbed scanner head, but it's inside a tightly closed case; dust should not be a problem. HP support told me that it was not fixable -- but taking the scanner apart is not on their list of user actions.....

Thank you all for your help, I very much appreciate it. I will report back when I hear from HP. Whatever their answer, it will be a useful addition to you debugging toolboxes as well.

HP scanner driver for Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.