Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My HP Scanjet 200 scanner does not work with my MacBook Air running macOS Monterey. The HP site says that the drivers for this OS are unavailable. Is there any way to get it to work or would I have to buy a new scanner?

My HP Scanjet 200 scanner does not work with my MacBook Air running macOS Monterey. The HP site says that the drivers for this OS are unavailable. Is there any way to get it to work or would I have to buy a new scanner?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 1, 2022 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 10:27 AM

If it doesn't work with Apple's Image Capture, and HP doesn't offer driver support for Monterey, you are likely out of luck, unless you have a spare Windows box laying about.

The optional VueScan software (for the ScanJet 200) expects you to have installed HP's 32-bit drivers for Snow Leopard (on that operating system) and to use a 32-bit version of VueScan. That dog won't hunt on the 64-bit only Monterey and neither will VueScan.

Because VueScan does support more than 6600 scanner models, a newer scanner and probably from a different vendor might have VueScan support without any vendor driver requirement.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 10:27 AM in response to AbidFarooqi

If it doesn't work with Apple's Image Capture, and HP doesn't offer driver support for Monterey, you are likely out of luck, unless you have a spare Windows box laying about.

The optional VueScan software (for the ScanJet 200) expects you to have installed HP's 32-bit drivers for Snow Leopard (on that operating system) and to use a 32-bit version of VueScan. That dog won't hunt on the 64-bit only Monterey and neither will VueScan.

Because VueScan does support more than 6600 scanner models, a newer scanner and probably from a different vendor might have VueScan support without any vendor driver requirement.

May 1, 2022 10:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

I tried searching for VueScan but my computer does not even list it for use with the OS Monterey.

You are right about using another laptop with Windows to use the scanner and then transferring the files on to the Mac. This is what I have been doing but it is cumbersome.

So if I want a flat bed scanner only, which one is recommended for use with MacBook Air?

May 1, 2022 10:46 AM in response to AbidFarooqi

VueScan Professional works just fine on macOS 12.3.1, even with my ancient Canon N650U that was unsupported by the vendor back in 2010 when I purchased VueScan Professional to support it. In twelve years, I have never paid for a VueScan software update.

I am not in the scanner recommendation business, but if you can find one, the Canon LiDE 400 is supported by VueScan without any Canon drivers. You know your scanning requirements. You can check your candidate scanner support on the VueScan site. For the given scanner, scroll to the bottom of that VueScan printer's technical information section.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.