You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BRAND NEW Macbook Pro 2020 getting 🔥HOT🔥 when sleeping and charging!!

MAIN QUESTION: Is it likely the reason my brand-new MacBook Pro 2020 is getting hot when CHARGING + SLEEPING is due to power nap downloading all my 25gb of iCloud photos to my system storage because the setting for photos is "download originals to this Mac" is on and my Mac has no other time to complete this process other than when it is it's power nap state?

I have a Macbook pro 2020 (intel i5 8th gen - standard specs + 16gb ram upgrade).

Every time I have charged it since I have purchased the machine, I have been using it whilst it charges, video watching on YouTube and Disney+, and even done some photo editing and the temperatures of the Mac have not risen above luke warm to touch on any surface or part of the Mac. This may come to some peoples surprise as I have read that many people face issues with heat with their Mac when doing this (using and charging at the same time.

However, I charged the Mac yesterday for the first time without using it. It was sleeping with the lid closed.

• Power nap is enabled when plugged in on charge
  • iCloud photos is set to "download originals to Mac" (which is the setting I want it to be on)
  • it lay on charge on its storage sleeve (a fabric padded case sleeve off amazon)

I checked the temperature of my Mac every 15mins twice when it was charging in this state to see if it was getting hot or warm yet and it was not. It was the temperature it was the other times I had been charging it and using it previously and again I would describe the temperature as luke warm. I then checked on it 45-50mins later and it was at 90% battery charge level. When I picked it up I could immediately feel the temperature of it and it was no longer warm it was mildly hot and I suspected it had actually been much hotter than that from how much of the body of the MacBook was this temperature.

I then looked in activity monitor to find the rate of which it had been charging. You can see it was charging normally apart from twice in the roughly 1 hour 15 mins total charging time where it significantly slowed the rate of which it was charging. During both of these times I was not using the Mac and it was still sleeping. Screenshot of this data on activity monitor is at end of this Information.

I believe the long slow period of charging was where the Mac got hot and the reason it did so was die due to the power nap settings.

• I have a total of 25gb of photos from my iPhone & iPad stored on iCloud
  • 12gb of these photos are fully downloaded onto my MacBook (and that 12gb was the data being synced last night when it was in power nap and what caused it to get so hot? so if there is 25gb of iCloud photos that need to be downloaded in total then that mean there is still 13gb left of downloading left? meaning I should expect my Mac to get hot again when sleeping and charging in and performing a power nap for the next couple charges like this whilst it updates and downloads the rest of my photos to system storage?

Am I correct in thinking that the main reason behind my Mac getting so hot when it was sleeping and charging was due to the power nap settings meaning that it was downloading and syncing all my iCloud photos and other data because it is a new machine. And since I have bought it (1 week ago) this was the first time it has had opportunity to sync data like this because it is the first time since I have bought it whereby I have charged it whilst it has been sleeping?

I will know it is due to the syncing of photos and other data (but mainly photos) in the next few days to week because once my system storage shows 25gb of photos taking up storage on my Mac I will know there is no longer any more data from iCloud or elsewhere that needs to be downloaded onto the Mac in such a high quantity. This is because from that point on, my Mac should only need to download a few photos every other day during charging and its subsequent power nap because of photos I take on my iPhone etc on those days. Therefore it should run cooler and only get slightly warm when charging instead of its current high charging temps when sleeping and charging. (remember as I write this it has only done this once as I have only let my Mac sleep and charge once).

I will of course keep charging it whilst it is sleeping for the next few times it needs charging, measure the temperature and update this thread with my findings for you interested. (and to also see if I am correct in my theory).

I have of course spoken to Apple support about this matter and the employee seemed to agree with me and told me I should be correct with my theory. He told me wait a couple days and see if does continue to get hot until it has finished fully syncing everything because for the first couple weeks Macbooks go through an indexing period whereby they download all the data off iCloud and set themselves up fully.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 1:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 1:22 PM

• it lay on charge on its storage sleeve (a fabric padded case sleeve off amazon)

Charging a battery generates heat in the battery. You had your computer charging, and thus generating heat, inside a case made of insulating material. Your computer got hot.

I think the rest of the discussion is basically irrelevant.

Incidentally, the charging rate is intentionally non-linear as part of your Mac's battery health management.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2020 1:22 PM in response to Petreeteus

Charging a battery generates heat in the battery. You had your computer charging, and thus generating heat, inside a case made of insulating material. Your computer got hot.

I think the rest of the discussion is basically irrelevant.

Incidentally, the charging rate is intentionally non-linear as part of your Mac's battery health management.

Aug 19, 2020 2:17 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Aha I really appreciate you answering! I agree with the fact I lay it on the sleeve which as u said is a very insulting material. just that alone I don't think was enough for it to get so hot, I still think the syncing of data was strenuous on the Mac (as it is new and still has data to sync). (I think you misunderstood it wasn't in the sleeve it was on top of, but even with that I agree somewhat with you!)

and thats something I definitely did not know happened??? so apple deliberately staggers your charging rate as it charges to reduce ageing on the battery? its just odd it happened when I had only charged it 4 times prior in total!

BRAND NEW Macbook Pro 2020 getting 🔥HOT🔥 when sleeping and charging!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.