You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird thing with battery. Suddenly stopped charging. Questions.

MacBook Pro (see image below).

Was trying to upload a 40GB file to Vimeo. Several fails, but no explanation for why. Tried again yesterday. Let it run overnight. This morning I see that it stopped uploading early on in the night. I'm trying to suss why. Then I see my battery did this weird discharge (see image).

I'm getting my power for the MacBook Pro not directly from the Apple charger but from one of the plugged in external devices (I need all the MacBook Pro ports for external devices and drives). It's been working fine like this for months. I just did a test. I'm getting power from each of the devices: Thunderblade SSD RAID setup, 2 different OWC external patch bays. I unplugged and replugged everything, and any one of these external devices seems to powering the MacBook Pro, while simultaneously keeping the battery charged.

I'm wondering if during the upload (the file was coming straight off the MacBook Pro, not from one of the external drives) somehow all my external devices went to sleep and stopped charging the MacBook Pro? Is that possible? And how they would go to sleep I can't imagine ... the power would still be going through wouldn't it?

I've never seen my battery discharged like this before in this setup. I plugged the Apple charger directly in and got a full charge in an hour or so. Now it seems to be running fine, getting its power from the external devices again.

Any ideas?

Ben

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 8:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 9:18 AM

Ben Low wrote:

I'm getting my power for the MacBook Pro not directly from the Apple charger but from one of the plugged in external devices

I would certainly compare your results plugging the charger directly into the Mac if you have an issue. This seems fundamental. Go from there if a third party issue.

What is the condition reported of the battery..?

>(Option key) System information>Hardware>Power>Battery>Condition

if normal try Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

if anything but normal —

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2022 9:18 AM in response to Ben Low

Ben Low wrote:

I'm getting my power for the MacBook Pro not directly from the Apple charger but from one of the plugged in external devices

I would certainly compare your results plugging the charger directly into the Mac if you have an issue. This seems fundamental. Go from there if a third party issue.

What is the condition reported of the battery..?

>(Option key) System information>Hardware>Power>Battery>Condition

if normal try Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

if anything but normal —

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Jul 4, 2022 9:20 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hey Leroy,

Wonderful response. Thank you. Will try all your links. The battery is 'normal' condition. Has been working fine. This is the first time something odd happened. Will reset SMC.

Will report hear anything I find out, any explanations that make sense.

Thanks very very much for your quick and very well laid out response. All the best, Ben

Weird thing with battery. Suddenly stopped charging. Questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.