Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search Feature on Outlook for Mac does not find all items

I am using Microsoft Outlook for Mac Version 16.38 on my work computer, which is iMac (21.5 inch, late 2013) running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

The search often only returns a subset of the entries that is should return (which are returned correctly when I used the web based version of Outlook). I tried the fix of dropping the "Main Profile" folder into Privacy in Spotlight and then deleting it. This did not fix the problem.

I contacted Microsoft and they suggested dropping the Macintosh HD icon into the Privacy tab and then deleting it.

But I am afraid to do this because of the message I get when I go to drop it in:

Are you sure you want to prevent Spotlight from searching in "Macintosh HD"?

If you exclude this location from Spotlight searches,

the search feature won't work in some applications.

Is okay to do this ? Or is there a safer way to fix the problem?

Thank you.

iMac, 10.13

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 2:19 PM

Why are you afraid of it. That's the way to Reindex Spotlight. Once you remove it, the index will be rebuilt.

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 19, 2020 2:22 PM in response to pkBrooklyn

Visit System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results, and select those categories that you want to search for — certainly Mail & Messages, if not more selections. Then, you can drag and drop your Macintosh HD icon onto the Spotlight Privacy panel, wait 5 seconds, and then select, and remove it from this panel with the [-] button. All this will do is unleash the Spotlight MDWorkers to index your startup drive based on what you selected in the Search Results category. Wait around 30 minutes, and then try your Outlook searches again.

You can also take advantage of the Mac-only Microsoft Outlook forum too.

Search Feature on Outlook for Mac does not find all items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.