Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete a family sharing request that I can't respond to?

My father attempted to set up family sharing with me so I could use his Apple+ TV login. He lives in the US and I currently live in Australia, so it would not allow us to create family sharing in different regions. Now on my Mac, there is a notification badge on my System Preferences that I can't get rid of. When I go into my System Preferences, I see there is an invitation from my father to join family sharing still pending. I had attempted to accept previously on my iPhone when it would not allow it and the notification on my phone went away. Now on my MacBook, when I click View Invitation in System Preferences, it pops up with "There was an unexpected error" which I have to click 4-5 times before it will close. It then shows a blank prompt with Decline and Accept, but no matter how many times I click either option, nothing happens. I contacted Apple Support, and they said I would need the person who initiated family sharing (my father) to follow the steps here: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201081. When he tried to remove me, he said he is getting a message that says “invitation sent." When he clicks into that, he gets a message saying this invitation no longer valid, and there is no option to remove someone from family sharing.

How can I make this invitation notification go away?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 9:22 AM

Hey there anc3386,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you are running in to an issue where you are unable to remove a pending Family Sharing invitation that was sent to you. We are happy to help provide some guidance.

Let's try something a bit different. You stated that it was your father who was the organizer that sent you the invitation. If we follow the same steps outlined in that article to get to the Family Sharing page:

Leave Family Sharing

Once on the page where he would see all of the members, is he able to click on his own name, then choose an option listed as "Cancel pending invitation"?

Let us know how that does, we are here for you.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 9:22 AM in response to anc3386

Hey there anc3386,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you are running in to an issue where you are unable to remove a pending Family Sharing invitation that was sent to you. We are happy to help provide some guidance.

Let's try something a bit different. You stated that it was your father who was the organizer that sent you the invitation. If we follow the same steps outlined in that article to get to the Family Sharing page:

Leave Family Sharing

Once on the page where he would see all of the members, is he able to click on his own name, then choose an option listed as "Cancel pending invitation"?

Let us know how that does, we are here for you.

Best Regards.

How can I delete a family sharing request that I can't respond to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.