Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All caps and weird Finder issues

I have a mac book pro 2013 running Mojave 10.14.6. Everything has been working fine but I have come across a problem when, while typing, the keyboard goes to all caps. At first it started with my bluetooth keyboard. So I turned off my bluetooth keyboard and it was okay for a while and then my main keyboard started doing it as well.

But for further complications, I also go to where my mouse and trackpad would not open a folder but give me the pull out menu for other options and the only way I could open the folder was using Command 0. I mean the whole computer was not responding as needed to keyboard or click commands.

I have tried the PRAM, resetting the Finder and even reinstalling the OS and still have the problem. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 5:47 PM

See if you have the issue while booted into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 19, 2020 6:26 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks, I tried that but it started doing it again. I found a patch. I started thinking it felt like a stuck keyboard but then that would be consistent instead of happening after a few minutes of use. So I think it is my keyboard. I disabled the keyboard using sudo commands and started using a bluetooth keyboard and it started doing it again. So now I am on a USB keyboard with bluetooth shut off and my bluetooth keyboard disconnected. So far so good. This is totally weird.

Aug 23, 2020 1:39 AM in response to cienruss

Here is an update on my issue. The computer is getting consistent with its errors. here is the order of how the computer functions. After a few minutes of typing, the caps lock and it takes a few minutes of tapping the Keyboard (any keys) to return to lower case. Then my external mouse and trackpad start showing problems. I left click files or links, they will not open. I roll the middle mouse wheel on my external mouse in an Internet Browser window and the window goes left to right, not up and down. If I am trying to select a word with my cursor, entire paragraphs select.. This is the consistent pattern. And when I restart the computer and the desktop appears, there is the weird click sound effect that I dont remember hearing before. I am very confused about what the problem could be

Aug 23, 2020 12:27 PM in response to cienruss

It is hard to say. I've never seen anything quite like you are describing, but I have seen some odd issues with the keyboard and trackpad on some of our organization's many Apple laptops.

Disconnect all external devices from the laptop.

The only way to separate a hardware issue or software issue is by performing a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive before reinstalling macOS. You need to test the clean install before migrating or restoring from a backup or before installing any third party apps. If a clean install still has the issue, then you have some sort of hardware issue most likely with either the built-in Keyboard, Trackpad, or with the Logic Board. While your laptop is considered "Vintage" it still may be possible to have an official Apple repair from an Apple Authorized Service Provider if the required part is still available.

Just make sure to backup your laptop before performing a clean install of macOS.

Aug 23, 2020 1:04 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks, I will use this as my last resort. I have run virus scans, reinstalled OS (not a clean install though) checked my keyboard, ran diagnostics...havent seen any problems. So my latest move is to disable the keyboard and run this for a while to see if that takes care of it all. I am running an external keyboard now and so far so good. I hope it is nothing more than the keyboard. This whole thing defies logic and stresses me out but I will get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your help.

Aug 23, 2020 1:25 PM in response to cienruss

Even if you disable the internal keyboard from within macOS it is still directly/physically connected to the Logic Board so it could still be causing interference. I'm not sure about a 2013 model, but I do know that with a 2015 model a Trackpad issue can affect the Keyboard as well.

Both the Apple hardware and macOS have become really strange beasts over the last few years with a lot of failures that continue to surprise, baffle, and irritate me.

Aug 23, 2020 1:37 PM in response to HWTech

Yes they definitely are strange and when you look inside of them, you wonder how the heck the fragile device even works. I am just hoping this will somehow suffice until I can get something new. I hope it is not the logic board. So far I am using Karabiner to disable the keyboard and it is working with no hiccups..so I will wait and see here.

All caps and weird Finder issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.