Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else having problems with Home Sharing since updating to ios 13.6?

Since updating to ios13.6 I cannot connect Home Sharing in Music. It starts to connect but then closes the Music app and takes me to the Home screen! Updating to iOS 13.6.1 has not helped!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 8:08 AM

Don’t bother trying solutions. A search of these forums will show that numerous people have this issue and they have tried everything from reboots to clean installs. Plus the system will work if earlier than iOS 13.6 is installed and homesharing on the TV app (video not music) will even work with iOS 13.6.x. There is a clear bug between iOS 13.6.x and the music app. Apple support has even acknowledged the issue only there is no indication when or if it will get fixed. ☹️

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 8:08 AM in response to Brian_P7

Don’t bother trying solutions. A search of these forums will show that numerous people have this issue and they have tried everything from reboots to clean installs. Plus the system will work if earlier than iOS 13.6 is installed and homesharing on the TV app (video not music) will even work with iOS 13.6.x. There is a clear bug between iOS 13.6.x and the music app. Apple support has even acknowledged the issue only there is no indication when or if it will get fixed. ☹️

Aug 20, 2020 9:32 AM in response to AndrewIles

Hello Andrewlles,

It sounds you are having trouble connecting to Home Sharing, Music begins to connect then the app quits unexpectedly. Check out this link for support when apps quit unexpectedly.

If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Otherwise you may need to try to set up Home Sharing again. Check out this link for support with set up and use of Home Sharing.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices

Cheers!

Aug 25, 2020 10:25 AM in response to GPquestion

Apple seems to be aware of the problem of iOS13.6 crashing Music when it attempts to connect to a Home Sharing library. I’ve just spent an hour in chats and phone calls with Apple, whose advice boils down to grin and bear it. An article in MacWorld UK describes precisely this frustrating situation. Unfortunately, Apple won’t even venture a guess as to when this may be resolved. Since Home Sharing is at the core of the Apple brand, I’m disappointed this has not been fixed and seems to be barely a blip on the Apple radar. Guess it’s time to unpack the box of CDs from the basement and forget Home Sharing the music collection on my iMac.

Sep 11, 2020 2:42 PM in response to AndrewIles

Yes I too have this issue, and it's maddening!

It broke on my iPhone, iPad, and Apple TVs all at the same time, so it's either back end issue at apple, or something with the latest version of iTunes. I don't know witch, because all the updates came very close to each other.

On iOS it just looks like it's loading, the circle completes and the music app crashes.

Apple TV just takes me to a black screen, not even an error message.

Very annoying because I used this service a lot with my media library on my home network for all my apple lossless files.

Sep 11, 2020 2:50 PM in response to JWW-TTO

Your music will sound better at least on CD, unless you used AppleLossless codec like I did to make my life headphone centric.

Work around I know of is using my Apple TV connected to stereo via fiber to a Fiio DAC, this way I can air play lossless files to stereo, and use remote control app for my media computer without reverting to media. Works with any airplay device and the "remote" app. Worth a shot, hopefully they get home sharing fixed ASAP. I use it a lot more than I use the Match service I pay for.

Sep 11, 2020 6:24 PM in response to Aaron_Squires

Everybody is having the problem: Home Sharing stopped functioning with 13.6. The failure was known to Apple shortly after the 13.6 release. (No kidding! Home Sharing crashes. Everybody called Support.) iOS 13.7, after 13.6.1 & .2 leaves it screwed up! Home Sharing is a core Apple feature; it’s why we pay for Apple stuff that works. Not anymore. Even an article in Macworld UK doesn’t seem to have registered. We deserve at least an apology and a firm date when Home Sharing will be restored.

Is anyone else having problems with Home Sharing since updating to ios 13.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.