Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen time controls, Netflix and iOS 13

Hoping someone has arrived at a current-day solution for parents who want to restrict their child's access to Netflix.

Ultimately, would like to find out what's the best way to restrict use of Netflix app on my kid's iPad?

With Content and Privacy Restrictions enabled, the Netflix app disappears.

A posting from 5 or 6 years ago in these forums talked about a solution: allowing a specific netflix.com-flavored URL in the Content Restrictions > Web Content > Allowed Websites section.

That solution didn't work for me--and am wondering if today, in 2020, such a solution exists.

It would be truly great if I didn't have to toggle off the Content & Privacy Restrictions every time I wanted to let my kid watch Netflix.

Any solutions appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 7:23 PM

snakeears,

Thank you for replying back!

We understand that the Netflix app is becoming hidden when turning on Content and Privacy restrictions.

In Screen Time, we’d advise navigating to Content & Privacy Restrictions > Content Restrictions > Apps. If this setting is set to 9+ or under the Netflix app will be hidden as it has an age rating of 12+.

When viewing an App in the App Store, the information section can provide useful information such as an apps Age Rating as well as information such as if in-app purchases are offered.

This resource below can provide further information on setting parental controls:

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Have a great day!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 7:23 PM in response to snakeears

snakeears,

Thank you for replying back!

We understand that the Netflix app is becoming hidden when turning on Content and Privacy restrictions.

In Screen Time, we’d advise navigating to Content & Privacy Restrictions > Content Restrictions > Apps. If this setting is set to 9+ or under the Netflix app will be hidden as it has an age rating of 12+.

When viewing an App in the App Store, the information section can provide useful information such as an apps Age Rating as well as information such as if in-app purchases are offered.

This resource below can provide further information on setting parental controls:

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Have a great day!

Aug 20, 2020 10:33 AM in response to snakeears

Hi there snakeears,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

It sounds as though you’re looking into parental controls using Screen Time on your childs iPad. You’re in the right place, we’d be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Below is a resource that can help:

Set up Screen Time for a family member on iPad

App limits can be used to limit the amount a certain app can be used. We’d advise checking out the “Set downtime and app limits on a family member’s device” for further information and useful steps.

We hope this helps,

Cheers!

Aug 20, 2020 2:56 PM in response to snakeears

Hi Nicholas -

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, it didn't get me all the way there.

To further refine my challenge, I am able to limit via your downtime suggestion--but the use of Content & Privacy Restrictions (CPR) disables Netflix.

CPR keeps my kid off certain websites as well as R rated movies--so turning it off isn't really an option.

And with CPR enabled, the Netflix icon disappears.

I've heard/read that because the Netflix app is web-based (?), it gets caught up in the Content & Privacy Restrictions dragnet--even after allowing Netflix specific URLs.

This previous thread discusses the challenges, though the solution listed didn't work for me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5919429

If you or anyone else has other suggestions on how to pull it off in iOS 13, would greatly appreciate.

Thanks.

Bob

Screen time controls, Netflix and iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.