Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -1407

I have the newest Catalina update.

I went to delete folders in Finder from a removable hard drive (Micro SD card in MacBook Pro Mid 2014)

I keep getting this error. Why won't it let me edit the files ?

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 8:51 PM

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

If this doesn't help, then check that your SD card is not write-protected. Be sure the SD card is formatted such that it can be read from or written to on a Mac.

See How to Fix Mac Error Code -1407 and How to Fix Error 1407 on under Mac OS X for additional fixes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 8:51 PM in response to czrkr

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

If this doesn't help, then check that your SD card is not write-protected. Be sure the SD card is formatted such that it can be read from or written to on a Mac.

See How to Fix Mac Error Code -1407 and How to Fix Error 1407 on under Mac OS X for additional fixes.

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -1407

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.