Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple scores record 72 Emmy Award nominations and sweeps across top categories. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stuck data and Privacy

Hi

My 4K apple tv stuck on Data&Privacy.. Could You please help me about that?

Thank You

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 11:59 PM

Possibly some features of the Siri Remote need some further explanation.

Use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote with your Apple TV - Apple Support

Swipe the touch surface to navigate to a Next or Continue button, if it isn’t already highlighted. Deep-press (to an audible click) the center of the touch surface to confirm a selection.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 11:59 PM in response to 01Boston

Possibly some features of the Siri Remote need some further explanation.

Use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote with your Apple TV - Apple Support

Swipe the touch surface to navigate to a Next or Continue button, if it isn’t already highlighted. Deep-press (to an audible click) the center of the touch surface to confirm a selection.

Oct 4, 2020 10:02 AM in response to 01Boston

Actually this is my solution to the problem, I bought a second hand 4 gen 4k Apple TV, I’ve never owned one before so in my case this is what happened after I connected It and then turned on:

Scene one: I was Immediately brought to the Data and privacy screen, There was no usual initial setup or language screen, the data and privacy screen was the only screen that was shown.

scene 2: the continue button On the data and privacy screen was highlighted but It did not respond to the remote control so obviously it would not proceed to the next step.

I went through all the standard procedure type steps to remedy the problem from charging the remote to hard reset ( press home and tv button simultaneously)but still nothing worked, actually the hard reset did work but it would reset only to be brought back to the initial unresponsive data and privacy screen again and again.

Scene 3: ok after examining everything I suddenly realised that my Apple TV was not connected to my internet 😩yes that’s right it wasn’t connected sooo - by the way my Apple TV is the 4k one the one where on the back there is only three inputs the hdmi , Ethernet and power plug connections, it doesn’t have that other USB type connection.

scene 4: I had set it up in my bedroom where I actually thought it might just connect automatically by wifi but it didn’t "so I took it into the lounge room where the modem was and connected the Ethernet cable To the Apple TV (also connected the Apple TV to the lounge room tv) Turned on the Apple TV and guess what it was still the same scenario, stuck on the data and privacy screen and remote not responding.

scene 5: ok now I’m In brainstorm mode trying to figure out a solution, ..... minutes later😑”ding” I came up which this idea.

scene 6: I downloaded the Apple TV remote to my iPhone 6s+ after that was completed a few seconds later the Apple TV appeared in my iPhone, “wala” after accepting to pair the Apple TV to my iPhone the Apple TV then began to respond to both the Apple TV remote control and the downloaded remote on my iPhone.

scene:7 after scene 6 I decided to restart or reboot the Apple TV using the Apple TV remote control and then the proper initial setup screen appears on the tv.

Finale: Both remote controls connected with the Apple TV and I was then able to proceed with the initial setups and finally go on to use my Apple TV.

Anyway I hope someone finds this shall we say hopefully informative dialogue helpful, have a nice day.🙂

Oct 4, 2020 11:47 AM in response to teauariki

Hi it’s me again,

so basically once the Apple TV was connected to the internet it automatically assumed a Wifi connection to the downloaded remote control on my iPhone or vice versa, after that I rebooted the Apple TV and then the setup screen appeared on my tv.

why it was stuck on data and privacy screen and why the remote control failed to work I have no idea???

stuck data and Privacy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.