Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of a System Preferences notification

I have a System Preferences icon in my dock that shows a red circle containing a one in it. However, when I go to System Preferences, there is no corresponding red circle. When I just had a Software Update, the icon showed two and the Software Update had a one. I'm currently running macOS Catalina (10.15). How do I get rid of it? Screen Shots attached.

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 12:50 AM

6 replies

Aug 20, 2020 10:15 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney-15E it did the trick. Though why did it require me to sign-in I've no idea as I've no intension of using the Cloud. Also, why didn't it tell me with a one in System Preferences? And, why did I have to key-in my computer's password?? I do hope that this doesn't mean that someone can now use my computer remotely. Just goes to show how much trust I have with these new things, what with passing on my personal details to god knows who.

Aug 23, 2020 2:32 AM in response to Barney-15E

I guess I did miss "the whole part about signing into AppleID has zero to do with iCloud." That maybe because when I tried to sign-in I got told "The password you use to unlock this Mac will also be used to access saved passwords and other sensitive data you store in iCloud.", note, no other reference to anything else. Again, I respectfully ask that "Unless you can tell me how to get rid of this notification without actually signing-in, I'll just have to keep seeing it and learn to ignore it." Thanking you in advance Barney-15E.

How do I get rid of a System Preferences notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.