Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning icon in upper right corner

Several days ago my iPad began displaying a spinning asterisk next to the WiFi notification every time I turn on WiFi. I assume something is running in the background but I can’t figure out what it is. Even if I only open 1app, the spinning thing appears. I think it is slowing my iPad down.

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 10:20 AM

The “spinning asterisk” indicates network activity. A process on your iPad is accessing the network. You’ll need to do some detective work to identify the process, however, it is generally nothing with which to necessarily be concerned. An indication of network activity will not, of itself, impact speed or performance of your iPad

To identify the process that may be causing unexpected network activity, you might try force-closing all Apps on your iPad...

Assuming that your iPad has iPadOS 13 installed, swipe upwards from the bottom edge of the screen towards the centre of the screen - and pause briefly before lifting your finger. This gesture will invoke the Task Switcher - and will display the “open” (but not necessarily running) Apps. Each App can be force-closed by swiping its respective window off the top of the screen.

For models of iPad with a physical Home Button, a double-click of the button will also reveal the Task Switcher.

With all Apps closed and the iPad idle, other than occasional system activity, the network activity indicator should only been seen intermittently.

A common reason for extended network activity indication is a potential problem with your email provider. If the mail server is offline, performing poorly, or is only accessible over a slow network connection, you may see extended network activity as your iPad continues to attempt synchronisation with the mail server.

A further tool with which to control network activity is to change your WiFi network setting, on your iPad, to enable Low Data Mode. This will inhibit automatic background network connections for email and other services. This should further reduce network activity - and is a useful diagnostic tool.

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful in troubleshooting the perceived problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 10:20 AM in response to NanaDoodie

The “spinning asterisk” indicates network activity. A process on your iPad is accessing the network. You’ll need to do some detective work to identify the process, however, it is generally nothing with which to necessarily be concerned. An indication of network activity will not, of itself, impact speed or performance of your iPad

To identify the process that may be causing unexpected network activity, you might try force-closing all Apps on your iPad...

Assuming that your iPad has iPadOS 13 installed, swipe upwards from the bottom edge of the screen towards the centre of the screen - and pause briefly before lifting your finger. This gesture will invoke the Task Switcher - and will display the “open” (but not necessarily running) Apps. Each App can be force-closed by swiping its respective window off the top of the screen.

For models of iPad with a physical Home Button, a double-click of the button will also reveal the Task Switcher.

With all Apps closed and the iPad idle, other than occasional system activity, the network activity indicator should only been seen intermittently.

A common reason for extended network activity indication is a potential problem with your email provider. If the mail server is offline, performing poorly, or is only accessible over a slow network connection, you may see extended network activity as your iPad continues to attempt synchronisation with the mail server.

A further tool with which to control network activity is to change your WiFi network setting, on your iPad, to enable Low Data Mode. This will inhibit automatic background network connections for email and other services. This should further reduce network activity - and is a useful diagnostic tool.

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful in troubleshooting the perceived problem.

Spinning icon in upper right corner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.