You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facetime for a contact works from iOS but not from osx

I have a contact which is identical on these two devices. However on the mac/osx the facetime video icon is grayed out, and facetime video cannot be initiated, but from ios/ipad/iphone it can. I can also receive facetime from that contact on either device.

Bizarre.

iPad Air 2, iOS 10

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 10:29 AM

5 replies

Aug 21, 2020 8:07 AM in response to marcmeyer

Hello marcmeyer,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities!

We understand you are running in to an issue where you are unable to initiate a FaceTime call for one specific contact on your Mac. We are happy to help go over this with you.

There might be something stored within that contacts details that could prevent it from being able to have FaceTime initiated. Do you know if the email or Apple ID you have saved for that contact is the same email or Apple ID they use for FaceTime? Are there multiple email addresses saved for that contact?

Is your macOS version up to date? Take a look at these steps for how to update your macOS:

How to update the software on your Mac

Have you tried removing and re-adding the contact on your Mac? Give that a try and then try initiating another call:

Delete contacts or contact groups in Contacts on Mac

We hope this helps!

Best Regards.

Aug 29, 2020 12:41 PM in response to marcmeyer

Hey there marcmeyer,

Thanks for following up and letting us know those details. We want to see if there could be something within your start up items or extensions that could be causing this conflict. To test that, let's go ahead and boot up your Mac in Safe Mode and try using FaceTime again to see if that same behavior occurs. Here are the steps on how to boot in to Safe Mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers!w

Aug 29, 2020 11:03 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Hello, and thanks for trying to help. yes, my software is up to date. Yes, I delete and recreate the contact and nothing changes, and yes, the contact's details are the same one he has registered with his facetime/icloud. Here's more:

• I can initiate facetime with the same contact, sync'ed via icloud, on other iOS and iPadOS devices.
  • I can initiate a facetime with this contact on my Catalina iMac USING SIRI voice commands, but NOT with the FaceTime app where the video icon is grayed out! This last is quite quite strange and probably a strong clue as to what's going wrong. Is it possible that the facetime app caches information with the UI, thereby disallowing selecting a video call, but that the Siri integration is able to as it doesn't go through the UI?

Aug 29, 2020 4:41 PM in response to sterling r

no difference. That entry on facetime has a grayed out video icon and i cannot video facetime. again, no problem doing so with siri voice command. same contact entry.

Also, if I log in on the same machine under another user account with the same icloud account, I have no problem with video facetime for that contact. Clearly something happening in the Facetime instance on the original user account. Tried "removing recents" in FaceTime there and no difference.

Thanks!

facetime for a contact works from iOS but not from osx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.