Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“File_Name.numbers” is damaged and can’t be opened.

I've been using a large iCloud Numbers spreadsheet for 5 years and updating it across all devices. I update it multiple times daily without any problems...until today. It will no longer open on any device and displays “file name.numbers is damaged and can’t be opened." I have multiple spreadsheets that continue to work properly, but this particular one (extremely important) is completely inaccessible. I've tried opening previous versions with no success...all versions display the same message.

Please advise.

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 1:07 PM

Thanks again Badunit.

"Versions" of the file that were automatically saved when data was added to the file. You can access archived versions from the file tab or in this case, from the dialogue box that appears while trying to open the file (see screen shots below). You can also see the "versions" timeline for the "damaged" file in the larger screen shot below. Every version I attempt to open displays "damaged and can't be opened" or "unable to open version."

This is crazy...I've stored Numbers spreadsheets in the Cloud for years, but have never encountered this "damaged and can't be opened" scenario before. Again, this file will not open on any device...iMac, MacBook, iPad Pro, iPhone X, or straight from iCloud opened in Safari. Before yesterday, it would open on all of the above devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 1:07 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks again Badunit.

"Versions" of the file that were automatically saved when data was added to the file. You can access archived versions from the file tab or in this case, from the dialogue box that appears while trying to open the file (see screen shots below). You can also see the "versions" timeline for the "damaged" file in the larger screen shot below. Every version I attempt to open displays "damaged and can't be opened" or "unable to open version."

This is crazy...I've stored Numbers spreadsheets in the Cloud for years, but have never encountered this "damaged and can't be opened" scenario before. Again, this file will not open on any device...iMac, MacBook, iPad Pro, iPhone X, or straight from iCloud opened in Safari. Before yesterday, it would open on all of the above devices.

Aug 22, 2020 7:41 AM in response to Hopperz

By "previous versions" do you mean separately saved/archived copies of the file that you made on earlier dates? If so, my bet is something other than the file is the problem because it is highly unlikely all your previously saved copies would be corrupt. I don't use iCloud for documents so I unfortunately do not have any first-hand knowledge of what the problem is. Typical things to do are reboot and make sure everything is up to date.

I'm posting mostly to stave off the robotic reply that seems to come when a question sits too long unanswered.

Aug 22, 2020 8:11 AM in response to Badunit

Thanks for replying Badunit!

So no previous (archived) versions of this file will open...all versions give the same "damaged and can't be opened" message. I routinely use Numbers spreadsheet files stored on iCloud because they easily update across all my devices as well as coworkers' devices when collaborating. This particular spreadsheet file has been in use for almost 5 years and has been accessible and functioning without a problem until yesterday. All devices are up to date and have been rebooted. I've attempted to download the file to my iMac, email the file to my daughter's MacBook, rename the file, and have tried to restore previous versions repeatedly, but the file refuses to open and gives the same message every time. This is the first time I've ever encountered this problem and am not really sure what else can be done at this point...unless someone knows how to access/repair damaged Numbers files.

I've searched this forum and found a post describing a similar problem, but it appeared to not solicit a solution.

“File_Name.numbers” is damaged and can’t be opened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.