Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers opening or downloading ?

I am puzzled why, when I open a Numbers spreadsheet on my Mac which looks to be stored on the HDD, I get the initial message that it is 'downloading'. I am not aware of having these spreadsheets in the iCloud so to me the message should read 'opening' and not 'downloading'. Can anyone shed any light please ?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 8:11 PM

Stylax wrote:

which looks to be stored on the HDD

Just guessing, but perhaps you have the document stored in Documents? In System Preferences under AppleID perhaps you have checked 'Optimize Mac Storage' and under Options... next to iCloud Drive you have checked 'Desktop and Documents Folders'?

That would mean a document stored in Documents is actually being stored in iCloud Drive and is downloaded when needed. You can of course change these preferences to suit. Perhaps your HDD is big enough that you don't need to 'Optimize...'.

SG

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 8:11 PM in response to Stylax

Stylax wrote:

which looks to be stored on the HDD

Just guessing, but perhaps you have the document stored in Documents? In System Preferences under AppleID perhaps you have checked 'Optimize Mac Storage' and under Options... next to iCloud Drive you have checked 'Desktop and Documents Folders'?

That would mean a document stored in Documents is actually being stored in iCloud Drive and is downloaded when needed. You can of course change these preferences to suit. Perhaps your HDD is big enough that you don't need to 'Optimize...'.

SG

Numbers opening or downloading ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.