Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand software instruments cut out after a short while but midi keeps recordings

I'm trying to use an electronic drum kit (Donner DED-200) with GarageBand. It works, but the sound of the software instruments triggered by the midi signal cuts out after a short while, 30s or so or possibly exactly 32 midi events.

Midi events continue to be sent and continue to be recorded, just no sounds is played for them. When I play back midi events recorded during the silence they are normal as if the instruments were working fine the whole time.

I tried several different USB cables and hubs. I even tried on both a MacbookPro and an iPad Pro 11 and had the same issue on both!

Any thoughts on how to keep the software instruments from cutting out? It isn't really usable like this. It would be a shame to be forced into the hassle of returning this otherwise pretty good beginner drum kit because GarageBand just doesn't like it.

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 8:31 PM

I figured out the issue. There's nothing wrong with GarageBand. It's the cheap drum controller. It breaks the MIDI spec by only sending "Note On" messages and never sending "Note Off". This makes software thing it's playing many very long notes at the same time until enough pile up that the software can't accept any more. Since they never turn off this never goes away until it's reconnected. There seems no (good) workaround for this other than don't buy Donner junk.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 8:31 PM in response to Imagio4

I figured out the issue. There's nothing wrong with GarageBand. It's the cheap drum controller. It breaks the MIDI spec by only sending "Note On" messages and never sending "Note Off". This makes software thing it's playing many very long notes at the same time until enough pile up that the software can't accept any more. Since they never turn off this never goes away until it's reconnected. There seems no (good) workaround for this other than don't buy Donner junk.

GarageBand software instruments cut out after a short while but midi keeps recordings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.