Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel_task CPU usage with external display

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 and AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB with catalina updated to 10.15.6

Every so often, the kernel_task CPU usage spikes up to over 500% and sits there when it is plugged to an external monitor (Dell 43').

It does not happen immediately but mostly after working for several hours. (using both native and secondary screens). If I unplug the screen, it immediately solves the issue which is not a long term solution... but increases again immediately if I plug it back

the fan does not make loud noise although the laptop is hot.

It also happens with other screens (cable HDMI to USB-C )

(It also happened with my previous Mac 16' and it finally died with battery/system issue so I am scared it will happen again)

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 4:52 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Aug 25, 2020 12:40 PM in response to Bibou37

kernel_task CPU usage spikes up to over 500% means your 16" MBP is overheating. kernel_task is that high because it's trying to slow down your computer down (as fake CPU usage) so it's cooler as a last ditch effort to cool things down.

The 16" MBPs have huge issues with overheating when using an external monitor that Apple still hasn't fixed.

See this huge thread on the overheating 16" MBP with external monitor issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229

Aug 24, 2020 10:22 PM in response to Bibou37

I'm having the same trouble and it appears to be related to the external monitors like you said! Did you find a solution?

I have been having this same issue ever since upgrading from Catalina 10.15.5 to 10.15.6 on my 2016 15" MBP. On Catalina 10.15.5 it worked perfectly fine. My issue, however, is a little more specific. It doesn't happen any time, only when I stream video via a web browser. Video via an application such as VLC works fine. At first I thought it was the web browser, but it happens with both Firefox as well as Chrome. I also validated that the web browsers were both on the latest release. I use two external monitors -- one is connected to a docking station, which connects to my computer via USB-C, and the other monitor uses a USB to DVI video adapter (which is then in turn plugged into the docking station). I didn't correlate this issue to the monitor at all until I read this post. After reading this post I tried removing the monitor that was using the USB video adapter, but the issue persisted. Then I unplugged the docking station and used only the laptop built-in display. When I did that I had no issues at all!

Sep 4, 2020 5:02 PM in response to wealthandnecessity

I don't completely buy this answer. I've had the same two external monitors for a while and they never had the problem when I was on High Sierra, nor did it have the issue after I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.5. It was not until I upgraded to 10.15.6 that the issue started happening. It's so bad that I almost can't use my external monitors, which is not really possible since I use them for photo editing.

Sep 4, 2020 5:33 PM in response to Bibou37

It's a combination of Turbo Boost making CPU run for a short burst at incredible high speed and heating up everything, and Chrome, the most notorious RoadHog in existence, and your running Sophos so-called Anti-Virus resource sink.

Getting rid of Turbo Boost with Turbo Boost Switcher, using Firefox or Safari instead of that bloatware, and removing Sophos dreck from your Mac permanently will reduce the issue you reported dramatically.

kernel_task CPU usage with external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.