Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue Vertical Line on Screen - MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2019

Hello. A thin blue vertical line suddenly appeared on my screen last night. See photo for reference. (It shows when I take a photo, but when I take a screenshot.) I just bought my unit 5 months ago and have had no problems til now.

What could be causing this issue? And is there anything I can do from home to remedy it?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 7:03 PM

The way the screen is stored internally is a set of horizontal stripes.

Vertical Artifacts like that are usually problems in the display itself.

Your external photo vs internal screenshot confirms no damage to the data in the display buffer, adding weight to the display itself as the problem.

Apple Support can arrange a courier pickup to send it to a repair depot.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 7:03 PM in response to patty_and

The way the screen is stored internally is a set of horizontal stripes.

Vertical Artifacts like that are usually problems in the display itself.

Your external photo vs internal screenshot confirms no damage to the data in the display buffer, adding weight to the display itself as the problem.

Apple Support can arrange a courier pickup to send it to a repair depot.

Aug 23, 2020 11:19 AM in response to nazir_cinu

The warranty is for one year, so Apple will fix a malfunction in the display for you under warranty.

Warrant-able Implies high quality in general, but cannot guarantee that every sample will be completely and utterly defect-free..

Apple sold about 20 million Macs last year. If your ONE sample has developed a defect, that moves the reliability statistics not at all.

Sep 15, 2020 8:19 PM in response to nazir_cinu

I literally just bought my MacBook in July it's now September and I just opened my MacBook Pro 16 inch and now it has a vertical line down the middle. I too just gave up my HP Pavillion for a MacBook, had my HP for 4 years never an issue.. now I'm wondering if I will continue to have issues with this laptop. Disappointment is an understatement. I understand that my laptop is under a warranty but I run a small business from this laptop. If I have to send this laptop off to get fixed, I have no way of running my business.

Sep 16, 2020 6:16 AM in response to vanessaclark80

Consumer Reports magazine finds that Apple computers have the best reliability, above other Brands by a wide margin. So put your fears to rest, and use your warranty to get it fixed, for nothing.

If your business will fail while your Mac is in the shop, you need to closely re-examine your disaster plan. You need backups for your data, and in many businesses, off-site backups as well as a hedge against flood or fire. You also need a hardware backup. Most Users have kept (or acquired) an older, less-capable computer to use as a backup computer. And it's a business expense.

Blue Vertical Line on Screen - MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.