You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to send messages to android phones from non-cellular iPad

I had this problem before, but can’t find how I solved it. A recent software update caused my iPad to reset and disabled my ability to send messages to android users. I looked up solutions on this site. One said to make sure “Text Message Forwarding” is turned on on my iPhone 6S, but I don’t see that option anywhere. Any suggestions?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 9:40 AM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2020 9:42 AM in response to DMuelrRN

You’ll need to ensure that Text Message Forwarding is explicitly enabled on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 22, 2020 10:19 AM in response to DMuelrRN

Perhaps try a forced-restart of your iPhone:

• iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.
  • iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold both the Top (or Side) button and the Volume Down buttons until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons until you see the Apple logo.

Unable to send messages to android phones from non-cellular iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.