Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to hide non-purchased music from Family Sharing

My family uses Family Sharing so we don't have to pay extra for purchased movies, music and apps. I have some music on my computer which was directly added to iTunes -- not purchased through Apple -- that I do not want my family to have access too.

I have found guides on how to hide purchased music, but not on how to hide "non-purchased" Music.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 12:47 PM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2020 8:03 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2, thanks for your reply. That is what I thought too, however on my iPhone for the audio which is supposedly only on my computer and on my iPhone, my son's name is under the title of each audio. But he did not upload the audio and as far as I know, he doesn't even know or care that it is there.

In Music preferences, there is a check box to sync across all devices. I have that un-checked. I recall earlier versions of iTunes had a preference setting to allow others on the network to see and download your music. I no longer see that preference setting.

Aug 23, 2020 5:49 AM in response to turingtest2

Turingtest2, your comment was valuable! Carefully examining the iOS screen, my son's name is attached to the playlist, not the song. As an experiment, I created a new playlist on my Mac within Music, and then synced to my iPhone. The new playlist is there, and under its title appears my son's name, not mine, and "updated today".

So I agree with you that it appears my son is not seeing my private library. Instead iOS is confusing my identity and my son's identity within the Music app.

In Contacts iOS app, my own entry is noted as "my card" and my son's card is not shown as "my card" -- however all my children are not only logged into iCloud under their own AppleID, but they are also logged in under my AppleID. iOS allows you to log in under multiple AppleIDs.

Why do we do this? It is a vestige of the days before Family Sharing. In order to share apps, calendars and purchases, everyone used a single AppleID. Although that is no longer required, I think my family would lose a bunch of apps and music (or at least be required to re-download them all as a family sharing purchase) if they logged out of my AppleID.

The Music app is confused on the identity.

Aug 26, 2020 5:51 AM in response to WSE1951

OK, so goes to show how long it is since I actually looked at a playlist directly on my iPhone instead of using Siri. I see that my playlists now have my name immediately below the playlist name and artwork. I guess if I added a shared list I'd expect to see the name of whoever made the list. Now the question is whose account is iTunes signed into on your computer?

tt2

Aug 26, 2020 7:33 AM in response to turingtest2

Turingtest2: iOS and MacOS allow you to sign in simultaneously under more than one AppleID so that you can sync an address book or calendar for example. My son is signed in under his own AppleID and under my AppleID; and even though I created the playlist under my AppleID (and I am not signed in under his AppleID); the system is confused and uses his name as the owner or author of the playlist.

How to hide non-purchased music from Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.