Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red, Green, and Blue dots on screen

Hello,

On my MacBook I had noticed that there are very small multi-colored dots on the screen in certain areas. They do not move but are only visible when black is displayed in the area where these are located. At first I though they are faulty pixels but due to their size, I now longer believe that to be the case. I have tried resetting the computer but it does not solve the problem. So i'm wondering what caused this to occur and whether it is a hardware or software issue?

Here are some close up photos that I took of my screen that shows the issue.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 5:06 PM

That is very odd to see some many "stuck" pixels. When you reboot the computer do you see the exact same pixels in the exact same places stuck on? If you Option Boot the laptop by holding down the "Option" key just after the startup chime (or immediately after powering on a newer Mac) do you see the stuck pixels? Are they always in the exact same locations and colors? If you see the issue occur on the Option Boot screen, then it means you have a hardware issue.

Connect an external display to see if you have any "stuck" pixels on the external display. If the external display has stuck pixels as well, then you either have bad memory or a bad GPU. If the stuck pixels only appear on the built-in display, then you have a bad LCD Panel.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 5:06 PM in response to Ian1021

That is very odd to see some many "stuck" pixels. When you reboot the computer do you see the exact same pixels in the exact same places stuck on? If you Option Boot the laptop by holding down the "Option" key just after the startup chime (or immediately after powering on a newer Mac) do you see the stuck pixels? Are they always in the exact same locations and colors? If you see the issue occur on the Option Boot screen, then it means you have a hardware issue.

Connect an external display to see if you have any "stuck" pixels on the external display. If the external display has stuck pixels as well, then you either have bad memory or a bad GPU. If the stuck pixels only appear on the built-in display, then you have a bad LCD Panel.

Aug 23, 2020 12:51 PM in response to Ian1021

Hello Ian1021,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

It sounds as though you’re seeing red, green, and blue dots when viewing a black background screen on your Mac. You’re in the right place, we’d be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Below is a resource that can help:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

This resource includes steps to reset the NVRAM/PRAM which can help to resolve issues with the display.

If the issue still occurs after resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, click the Apple Menu  in the top left then click “Restart”. While your Mac is restarting, are the red, green, and blue dots visible before seeing the log in screen?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

Red, Green, and Blue dots on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.