Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just restored my mac from my time machine and all my applications just show up as ?. Cannot open my application folder either

I just restored my mac from my time machine and all my applications just show up as ?. Cannot open my application folder either. Clicking the ? at the bottom of the screen seems to have no effect although i can see what applications they are by holding the mouse over the ?. All seem to be there as before the restore - just cant execute them

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 11:33 AM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold the following combinations on your keyboard.

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 11:33 AM in response to Canyon336

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold the following combinations on your keyboard.

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

I just restored my mac from my time machine and all my applications just show up as ?. Cannot open my application folder either

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.