Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move files without copying or dragging in Mojave

I need to be able to move files from one place to other without copying them, or dragging them.

For example, if there are files in the Download folder or Desktop, I would like to move them to the appropriate folder without dragging and without leaving a copy behind.

I have tried to recommendation below, but it leaves copy in the original location.

(Its keyboard shortcut, Command-Option-V, adds Option to the standard Paste shortcut.) This is much easier than dragging an item to a new location when the target window isn't already open.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 9:41 AM

If that leaves a copy, you do not have permission to delete (write) to the source folder. If it is your Downloads folder, then something is wrong with your permissions.

If you use Spring-loaded folders, then you don't need to have the destination window open. It helps to have strategic folders in the Sidebar from which you can start.

For some reason Apple buried it in Accessibility.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 9:41 AM in response to karenfromarmonk

If that leaves a copy, you do not have permission to delete (write) to the source folder. If it is your Downloads folder, then something is wrong with your permissions.

If you use Spring-loaded folders, then you don't need to have the destination window open. It helps to have strategic folders in the Sidebar from which you can start.

For some reason Apple buried it in Accessibility.

Aug 24, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you so much for your reply. I do have spring-loaded folders enabled, as well as most frequently used folders listed in my sidebar.

I have a repetitive stress injury from using a mouse for 32 years and I am in pain whenever I push the mouse, hence my desire to use keyboard shortcuts. I am pretty good at them and know many. (BTW I use a vertical mouse which helps, and perhaps it will help others avoid this injury.)

I ned something like the command "move to"

I tried to look at the permissions for the downloads folder and I googled and was led to this, however "downloads" is not listing in my permissions. I do have permission to read and write in the target folder.

1. Open Safari on your Mac
  2. Click Safari in the menu bar (top left corner) then choose Preferences…
  3. At the top of the window, click Websites
  4. Now on the left-hand sidebar click Downloads
  5. Click the Ask/Deny/Allow drop-down on the right-hand side next to sites to dial in your preferences
  6. Use When visiting other websites to change download settings for all websites

Aug 24, 2020 8:13 AM in response to karenfromarmonk

Safari preferences have nothing to do with your problem.

You seem to have something wrong with the permissions on your Downloads folder, or possibly your Home folder.

For both, select them in the Finder and use the Get Info command to look at the Sharing & Preferences section.

Post a screenshot, or just describe what you see in the window.

For Home, you should see:

For Downloads:

Move files without copying or dragging in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.