Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Erasing MacBook Hard Drive, Cannot ReInstall OS: Broken Display

Our MacBook display was broken. We recently contacted about returning the product (trading it in), so we were following the steps to return it to the shop. We erased the hard drive, and got the packaging ready. Yesterday, we tried turning it and reinstalling OS, to see if we could use an external display to use the MacBook, since the display is broken and we can't see the left side of the display. But when we turn it on, we only get a black screen. Some areas grey, some black. We tried using command R, option, and all sorts of stuff we could find online. We browsed through the apple forums. Nothing has worked so far. When we left it closed overnight, eventually we got the apple logo but that was it. We can't see anything even on an external display (HDMI), because I'm guessing the OS isn't there, because we erased the hard drive? Is there any way to solve this? Any help would be appreciated. (We also cannot find the recovery screen, even after using the command r, and other shortcuts, while following the other instructions that we found online.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 9:18 AM

If you have a model from Late-2011 or later, then you can try this:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the original version of macOS that came pre-installed from the factory.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 9:18 AM in response to hris98

If you have a model from Late-2011 or later, then you can try this:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the original version of macOS that came pre-installed from the factory.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Aug 24, 2020 2:26 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you Kappy. Actually my problem simply is that I lost the connection with the external display after I erased the hard drive ( did all 6 steps before that without problem) and now I can not see anything to perform the reinstallation. I need somehow to connect the MacBook to other display so I can chose the way of reinstallation. I tried with HDMI to my TV but nothing..... Even if I reboot several times and holding Command + R..... nothing come up on the eternal display.

After Erasing MacBook Hard Drive, Cannot ReInstall OS: Broken Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.