Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I delete a message from my iPhone it deletes from my iPad also. How do I stop this?

When I delete a message from my iPhone it deletes from my iPad also. How do I stop this?

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 6:07 PM

When you have your iCloud settings synced across both devices, all data is correspondent. You can turn this off by either going to Settings>(Your Name)>iCloud and scroll down to Messages and toggle it off. Now this way, your messages wont be synced across both devices. When you delete your conversation off one device, it won’t sync to your other device, with this disabled. Note, this only works for only for the devices you have this off for. You need to perform this on every device you want to turn it off on. However, the messages sent from your iPhone will not sync to your iPad and vice versa. You will still be able to receive and send messages on your device, unless you turn it off by going Settings>Messages, and toggling it off.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 6:07 PM in response to stefani229

When you have your iCloud settings synced across both devices, all data is correspondent. You can turn this off by either going to Settings>(Your Name)>iCloud and scroll down to Messages and toggle it off. Now this way, your messages wont be synced across both devices. When you delete your conversation off one device, it won’t sync to your other device, with this disabled. Note, this only works for only for the devices you have this off for. You need to perform this on every device you want to turn it off on. However, the messages sent from your iPhone will not sync to your iPad and vice versa. You will still be able to receive and send messages on your device, unless you turn it off by going Settings>Messages, and toggling it off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.