Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone asks for Apple ID of previous owner which he forgot

Hello! 3 days ago I bought an iPhone 8 plus second hand when I received it I wanted to restore the factory settings to be like new, but the iPhone asked for Activation Lock as well as the Apple ID of the owner. I contacted him, but he told me that he had forgotten his Apple ID username and password .... My question is is there a way to start the phone? Please help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 5:20 AM

See Turn off Activation Lock https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201441If you acquired your device second hand from an individual (almost invariably not the prior legal owner), you will need to obtain the needed password from the prior legal owner (almost invariably not the seller) or have the prior legal owner sign out of iCloud; erase the device; and remove it from their device list. If you cannot do so, then the device is useless to you.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 5:20 AM in response to Ivanjelina

See Turn off Activation Lock https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201441If you acquired your device second hand from an individual (almost invariably not the prior legal owner), you will need to obtain the needed password from the prior legal owner (almost invariably not the seller) or have the prior legal owner sign out of iCloud; erase the device; and remove it from their device list. If you cannot do so, then the device is useless to you.

Aug 24, 2020 5:38 AM in response to Ivanjelina

i agree with everything the other guy said. For sure you will need the owner to be able to pull this off. I do think i have come across and option like this before. This is what you do, Got to Icloud.com if it is signed in the device. click on forgot password or email, Click on Look It Up, Insert your first name, last name and email. This is where the former owner comes in. He will provide you with the details to recover the account. I wish you the best.

iPhone asks for Apple ID of previous owner which he forgot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.