Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't locate files using Finder or Spotlight (Catalina / New MacBook Air)

I bought a new MacBook Air a few months ago. When trying to search for a file, using either the Finder or Spotlight the files will not be located. If I open the drives and look through the folders I can locate the files manually. But they are not appearing in any search results for Finder or Spotlight. I've tried reindexing the drives, and it doesn't help. The Genius Bar was unable to figure out the problem. The hardware passed all the tests. I have noticed this is a common problem on these boards., but I haven't seen a solution yet. The problem is maddening. It is one of the most basic functions, which was never a problem before Catalina. Has anyone found a solution to this yet? Apple, are you listening?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 1:31 PM

I suggest reading this Apple article and see if it improves your search results: Narrow your search results on Mac.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 24, 2020 1:41 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you. That might be a workaround but not a solution. If I am searching for a file named: "advanced_image.jpg" i would normally search "advanced" and select "Name matches: advanced" and in Mojave and everything prior it would give me a list of all the files on all my selected drives that include "advanced" in the file name. When I do this in Catalina, it returns zero results. If I open the drive and search manually I can locate "advanced_image.jpg" ... For some reason the searches cannot locate the files based on filename.

Aug 24, 2020 1:56 PM in response to naikusobi

Using just the name of the file will search every filename and the text contents of documents, web pages, emails, ad nauseum. The following assumes that you have the Spotlight Search Results category Images selected.

Do a case-insensitive search for a partial filename string:

kind:image +.jpg name:advanced_

Compatible, external drives need to be mounted, and Spotlight must be permitted to index them before your search will be satisfactory. Depending upon the drive formatting, it may not be indexed by Spotlight.

Aug 24, 2020 2:07 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you. Can you tell me the best way to index an external drive? I have been using the Spotlight Privacy option and dragging the entire drive to the exclusion area. Then closing the preference window. Then I reopen the prefs, select the drive and remove it using the "-" button. Then I close the prefs. This is supposed to re-index the drive, but it doesn't appear to be doing such. Also, the contents of the external can be found if I connect the drive to a different computer, running Mojave. The problem is happening when the drive (LaCie Rugged) is connected with a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 1 Apple adapter to the MacBook Air. Any chance the adapter is the problem? Brand new, Apple brand.

Aug 24, 2020 2:11 PM in response to naikusobi

Drag the mounted external drive icon onto the Spotlight Privacy window, wait about 10 seconds, and the select it, and click [-] to remove it from the Window. Do not eject that drive for at least an hour, though Spotlight no longer gives you a progress bar regarding indexing progress. I would do one at a time to not swamp your Mac with Spotlight indexing processes.

I have no experience with Spotlight indexing across thunderbolt adapters. If there is no inherent issue, the the first paragraph will index the external drive if it is not NTFS or one of the Linux formats.

Can't locate files using Finder or Spotlight (Catalina / New MacBook Air)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.