Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not working (Catalina OSX)

When I use Spotlight to search my MacBook Air for a file, it finds it. Then when I click on "Show all in Finder" (because I want to learn where on my system the file is, and what kind of file it is), Finder launches but fails to find anything.

If I just go straight to Finder and search for the file directly, nothing seems to happen.

How do I get finder to find files again?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 3:03 PM

Bring up Spotlights search field, ⌘+space bar, search for you file, click once on the item to select it and press the ⌘ key. That will bring up the location at the bottom of the search results window.

While holding down the ⌘ key double click on the file in the and a Finder window will open with the file selected in it.

If that doesn't work boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2020 3:03 PM in response to pmachalek

Bring up Spotlights search field, ⌘+space bar, search for you file, click once on the item to select it and press the ⌘ key. That will bring up the location at the bottom of the search results window.

While holding down the ⌘ key double click on the file in the and a Finder window will open with the file selected in it.

If that doesn't work boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 4, 2020 2:17 AM in response to 700rpm

Yes it does, Show Path Bar will be available when Show Path Bar has not been selected.

If Show Path Bar has been selected it will be replaced by Hide Path Bar in the View menu.

Have another look at your mac and toggle Hide/ Show on and off.

In the Screenshot you will see Hide Path Bar because Show Path Bar was selected as can be seen at the

bottom of the Finder window in the screenshot.

Oct 29, 2020 10:41 PM in response to pmachalek

Thanks for the response, Babowa!

I think I didn't communicate very well. Let me try again.

I want to find a file that's somewhere on my hard drive. I don't know what it's called, but I do know of a string of text that is inside of it.

If I use Spotlight to search that string, I find files.

But if I search for that same string via Finder, nothing happens.

How do I get Finder to find a file the way that Spotlight can?

Nov 3, 2020 2:16 PM in response to pmachalek

If I use Spotlight to search that string, I find files.

But if I search for that same string via Finder, nothing happens.

How do I get Finder to find a file the way that Spotlight can?

Not sure exactly how you are searching in the Finder. Did you check that it is searching everywhere and not just in the current folder?

Also:

a) if you find something using Spotlight, press command-R and it will open the enclosing folder in the Finder.

b) in the Spotlight window, you can hold down the command key and it will show the path for the selected item in the bottom

Nov 4, 2020 2:27 AM in response to pmachalek

When you see the file/ folder you are looking for in the Spotlight window highlight the file

press Command - R and a Finder window will open with the file highlighted.

From the path bar at the bottom of the Finder window you will see where it is located.

Or at the top of the Finder window Control-click on the file/ folder icon and you will

also see the path for the file/ folder.

Another way to see the path is to have the path button placed in your Finder windows Toolbar.

Open a Finder window, click on View in the menubar and select Customise Toolbar.

A menu will drop down, click and hold the Path icon and drag it up into your Finder Toolbar

where ever you choose press Done.

Now all Finder windows will open with the Path button available.

Finder not working (Catalina OSX)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.