Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yahoo browser virus

every time I try to search something in safari it goes straight to yahoo even though I have my home page set to google, how do I fix this ?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 7:08 PM

This is a browser redirect malware that affects Windows and Mac alike. You may have downloaded it inadvertently in a "free software" package or from some dubious website. To get rid of it on Mac you can use Malwarebytes which is recommended as safe by many leading users on this forum.

2 replies

Aug 25, 2020 4:54 PM in response to cailyn194

Also, go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari/Preferences/General - see what the Home Page is set to. If something you don't recognize, see if you can replace it with something you want.

Safari menu/Clear History.

System Preferences and remove any Profiles you see.

yahoo browser virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.