Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mapping Localhost to External Hard Drive

Why can I no longer see my local host that has been in effect since Sierra? I have had a local host on my systems since Leopard and just recently upgraded to Catalina and now I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250001766

I have tried the above and no change... no matter what - it wont see the external drive...

So here are some things I have done in addition to the above link.

I created an alias on my internal drive - but cant map to it...

I have mapped to my internal drive to various locations and it finds that directory.

I have mapped to my external drive and misspell the directory on purpose so I know it is reading the conf file. When mispelled I get DocumentRoot '/Volumes/4TB_2020HDD/WebServer1' is not a directory, or is not readable - remove the one and config test works fine / restart works fine.

So what has changed?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 7:56 AM

Those instructions are designed to run a web server for development and testing out of your home directory. If you make changes, there is no guarantee it will work. It sounds like you are being blocked by new user permissions in Catalina. Processes are restricted from accessing certain privacy-sensitive locations, including external disks. Serve daemons like Apache will not display a user interface to ask the user if they should be allowed to use these locations. Maybe try giving Apache Full Disk Access.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2020 7:56 AM in response to Mike from RR

Those instructions are designed to run a web server for development and testing out of your home directory. If you make changes, there is no guarantee it will work. It sounds like you are being blocked by new user permissions in Catalina. Processes are restricted from accessing certain privacy-sensitive locations, including external disks. Serve daemons like Apache will not display a user interface to ask the user if they should be allowed to use these locations. Maybe try giving Apache Full Disk Access.

Aug 25, 2020 6:42 PM in response to Barney-15E

drwxrwxrwx 4 username staff 136 Aug 25 20:28 WebServer

Granted full access...

Even created at alias and mapped to is - No go

Even gave apache full disck access - which i since removed since that is a no go...

Apparently Catalina can not store Webserver on EXT HDD.

Will do local edits and move to final storage on EXT HDD since 256TB is just way to small...

Aug 25, 2020 7:35 PM in response to Mike from RR

Is this a user-hosted site, or the main DocumentRoot?

If it is the main folder, then your user should not be the owner. It should be the same as /Library/WebServer.

Everyone should not have read/write access to the document root, nor should the group.

You only need everyone read so that _www can read the folder contents. _www should not be able to write to that folder.

Do you have an index.html file in the DocumentRoot?

I just reconfigured mine to access a folder on an external drive and it worked fine.

What is the result of

apachctl configtest

Mapping Localhost to External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.