Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a problem with macmail quitting whenever I open inbox

Mac Mail crashes shortly after I have deleted mail from junk folder and then go to inbox. I get a window that says “Mail has quit unexpectedly” This happens on my 2015 iMac running High Sierra. I have tried virtually every suggestion that I have found on line including rebuilding the mailbox, starting mail in safe mode, deleting preference files, removing envelope files, removing the mail saved folder, resetting the NVRAM, and removing the Mail container folder. Nothing worked. I ran an EtreCheck scan of the system as well as a crash report which I can upload if someone tells me how. Thanks for your help

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 7:25 PM

OK, thanks...

Start with deleting these...

1. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist
  2. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.amazon.cloud-player.plist
  3. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.MobileMeSyncClientAgent.plist
  4. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2020 7:25 PM in response to mikalmmd

OK, thanks...

Start with deleting these...

1. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist
  2. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.amazon.cloud-player.plist
  3. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.MobileMeSyncClientAgent.plist
  4. ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Aug 25, 2020 4:28 PM in response to mikalmmd

I have 93,490 eMails here in 10.13.6 & no problems

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Aug 25, 2020 8:52 AM in response to mikalmmd

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Yes, let's see the etrecheck report.

Aug 25, 2020 10:39 AM in response to BDAqua

This has been happening for several weeks now. If it was one particular email that was causing this, how would I know which of the many I have saved over this time period was causing it. I save most of my emails, but I did have the idea that maybe my app was struggling with too many emails. I wound up deleting about 18,000 emails from my inbox and 8,000 emails from my sent folder - which did not help.

I turned off the internet, and mail did NOT crash when going from Junk to inbox. I turned the internet back on, and crashing resumed. I went to Webmail in iCloud on Safari and deleted a couple of messages, but that did not help.

How do I send you the EtreCheck report?

Thanks,

Michael

I have a problem with macmail quitting whenever I open inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.