Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts issue

Many of my contacts do not have a +1 in front of them. So when I receive a call/text sometimes their name does not correspond to the number. How do I fix this? I have tried adding the number to the existing contact. Do I need to do this for every single contact? It seems that every contact then has the identical number except one does not show the +1 and Parentheses

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 11:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 11:52 PM

It is not essential for making or receiving local calls (Within the country)

However if you receive international calls then you may see their country prefix. Similarly when you are roaming and want to make calls to you friends or family members from across the border then you will have to add +1 (For US) or any other country specific prefix before making a call.

The parenthesis or hyphen is country specific phone number formats. DO NOT add these while storing a number. As soon as you enter +1 (US) or +44 (UK) the iPhone will format the number to the country specific formats.

It is recommended that you maintain your contact list with country code

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 11:52 PM in response to Pward77

It is not essential for making or receiving local calls (Within the country)

However if you receive international calls then you may see their country prefix. Similarly when you are roaming and want to make calls to you friends or family members from across the border then you will have to add +1 (For US) or any other country specific prefix before making a call.

The parenthesis or hyphen is country specific phone number formats. DO NOT add these while storing a number. As soon as you enter +1 (US) or +44 (UK) the iPhone will format the number to the country specific formats.

It is recommended that you maintain your contact list with country code

Aug 25, 2020 3:08 AM in response to Pward77

It is good practice to store all phone numbers in E.164 format ( + CountryCode CityCode ExchangeCode LineNumber). iPhone's "Dial Assist" feature, which allows you to dial home country numbers as local numbers when you are traveling internationally, does not always format these calls properly. Having all Contacts entries formatted fully ensures that your phone will never get confused between your New York friend at +1-212-123-4567 and your Birmingham friend at +44-(0)1212-123-4567.

Contacts issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.