Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import bookmark html file to a browser on iPad Pro

I own only Apple products. No PC. No Mac. I have an iPad Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I have a html file of all my bookmarks. I am trying to find a way to import that file using my iPad Pro or iPhone to a browser. Why do all the app store browsers not have an import function?

All advice I find is for transferring from PC. How do I do it without a PC?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 2:42 AM

I have no idea why - and nobody participating within these Support Communities will be able provide a definitive answer.

However, I can think of a number of very good reasons that this ability wouldn’t be included. In brief, here is just one...

iOS/iPadOS has a “secure” sandboxed security architecture and operating system - with significant focus on system and data security. Allowing html direct access to the OS, by way of import, exposes a potential vector for exploit by malicious code.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2020 2:42 AM in response to james-anthony

I have no idea why - and nobody participating within these Support Communities will be able provide a definitive answer.

However, I can think of a number of very good reasons that this ability wouldn’t be included. In brief, here is just one...

iOS/iPadOS has a “secure” sandboxed security architecture and operating system - with significant focus on system and data security. Allowing html direct access to the OS, by way of import, exposes a potential vector for exploit by malicious code.

Aug 26, 2020 2:58 AM in response to james-anthony

I do try 🙂.

I’m delighted that I’ve been able to offer something helpful - even if unable to provide a direct solution on iPad.

Perhaps, whilst acknowledging the [beneficial from a security perspective] limitations of you iPad, you might focus your import efforts on what can be achieved at the desktop of a PC or Mac. If you can import bookmarks into a desktop browser, you’ll usually find that the equivalent iOS/iPadOS App has an ability to synchronise its bookmarked links.

For example, Firefox (available across many platforms, including Apple) will sync’ both bookmarks and logins/passwords via your FireFox account. Thus, if you can import bookmarks externally, they can be synchronised to FireFox on your iPad.

Similarly, if you can import bookmarks to Safari on a Mac, they too will synchronise with your iPad via iCloud.

Maybe there is something here that you can explore.

Aug 26, 2020 3:07 AM in response to LotusPilot

Yeah that I’m aware of that, however I’ve not got my PC anymore and didn’t use the iCloud sync in my PC. I replaced it with an iPad Pro. I had a Lenovo Yoga, loved it, but I like what Apple does provide in form of security and Creativity.

FYI, there’s an app available in the App Store called Raindrop.io. It’s a bookmarking app. And surprisingly, if you got to the web app app.raindrop.io you can import your bookmarks via HTML and it will sync with the Raindrop.io apps on my iPad and iPhone.

Import bookmark html file to a browser on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.