Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

closing the lid causes issues with external monitors

I have a Dell D6000 Universal Docking station and I connected it to my MacBook Pro 13’ 2020 (Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). I connected a monitor on the:

HDMI port: 1920x1080

DisplayPort: 1280x1024

I downloaded the latest Catalina DisplayLink drivers, the desktop is extended and everything is working just fine. The problem starts when I close the lid of the laptop. I prefer using only the external monitors, so I need it closed.

As soon as I close the lid, the 2 external monitors star behaving very strange. Every couple of minutes they lose their signal, and it takes them a couple of minutes to get it back. Also, I can see that the laptop monitor is still shown in the display’s arrangement, even though the lid is closed.

Of course, this is a problem because I can’t work when my monitors lose their signal every 2 minutes.

I know this is not an issue with the Dell D6000, or the external monitors, or their signal cables, or a DisplayLink driver, because when the lid is open, everything is working just fine.

This has to be a Catalina setting somewhere affecting the way the laptop behaves with its lid closed.

Any idea what could the issue be?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 9:22 AM

FYI, the issue is with the latest version of the Displaylink driver. If you revert back to the previous version, the issue is resolved. The latest version simply does not support clamshell mode, and to support it they need apple's co-operation. You can see the discussion here https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67302

So it was neither the dell dock, nor it's firmware. This is purely a driver/os support issue.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 9:22 AM in response to NucleusMS

FYI, the issue is with the latest version of the Displaylink driver. If you revert back to the previous version, the issue is resolved. The latest version simply does not support clamshell mode, and to support it they need apple's co-operation. You can see the discussion here https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67302

So it was neither the dell dock, nor it's firmware. This is purely a driver/os support issue.

Aug 26, 2020 9:20 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

The only thing changing its state is the lid. All the other parameters remain the same. It's not the dock. Please stop replying to the thread. You are not making any sense. What kind of question is that? Remove the dock and check if what is working as designed? The dual monitors? No, they are not working, the dock is unplugged.

To make it even simpler. where is this option in Mac?

Aug 26, 2020 7:52 AM in response to DonH49

Perhaps I didn't explain it correctly, so I will try again. This setup works perfectly as long as the lid is open.

When the lid on the MacBook closes the issue with the monitors begins.

The question here, is how to configure MacOS, not to change its behaviour when the lid is closed.

Obviously this is not an issue with the dock, which by the way is very good and not cheap at all. (and works great with the lid open)

closing the lid causes issues with external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.