Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second external display keeps disconnecting on MacBook Pro

I have a 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar (2019) with two displays. An LG 5K and a Dell Ultrasharp monitor (2560x1440). The Ultrasharp is connected to the computer via an adapter that goes from Displayport to Thunderbolt (or USB C). The LG 5K is connected on the other side of the laptop.

This setup used to work just fine (for about 4 months) until I wiped and reinstalled MacOS. Now, when I'm away from the computer for long periods of time, the Ultrasharp monitor "disconnects" and nothing in the OS will help me reconnect it.

1. I have cleared SMC
  2. I have cleared NVRAM and PRAM
  3. The disconnected second display does not respond to "Detect displays" in the Display preference pane.
  4. The only way to get the display to redirect is to first unplug the Dell monitor, second unplug the 5K monitor, third plug the Dell monitor back in and let it get "rediscovered" by the laptop, and fourth plug the 5K display back in. This works for several hours but the Dell display always re-disconnects.

HELP

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 9:05 AM

Jeremiah. wrote:

1. I have a 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar (2019) with two displays. An LG 5K and a Dell Ultrasharp monitor (2560x1440). The Ultrasharp is connected to the computer via an adapter that goes from Displayport to Thunderbolt (or USB C). The LG 5K is connected on the other side of the laptop.

This setup used to work just fine (for about 4 months) until I wiped and reinstalled MacOS. Now, when I'm away from the computer for long periods of time, the Ultrasharp monitor "disconnects" and nothing in the OS will help me reconnect it.

I have cleared SMC
3. The disconnected second display does not respond to "Detect displays" in the Display preference pane.
The only way to get the display to redirect is to first unplug the Dell monitor, second unplug the 5K monitor, third plug the Dell monitor back in and let it get "rediscovered" by the laptop, and fourth 1. plug the 5K display back in. This works for several hours but the Dell display always re-disconnects.

HELP

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

- Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Jeremiah.

Jeremiah. wrote:

1. I have a 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar (2019) with two displays. An LG 5K and a Dell Ultrasharp monitor (2560x1440). The Ultrasharp is connected to the computer via an adapter that goes from Displayport to Thunderbolt (or USB C). The LG 5K is connected on the other side of the laptop.

I have cleared SMC
The only way to get the display to redirect is to first unplug the Dell monitor, second unplug the 5K monitor, third plug the Dell monitor back in and let it get "rediscovered" by the laptop, and fourth 1. plug the 5K display back in. This works for several hours but the Dell display always re-disconnects.

HELP

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

- Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

Second external display keeps disconnecting on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.