Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail from Apple Mail on a MacBook Air no longer synchs correctly. Did something change with Catalina?

I've been using a gmail account with Apple Mail on my MacBook air for years without any issues. Just a couple of days ago it stopped synching correctly with my other devices. If I delete/read/etc emails on my iPhone or iPad the changes register on my MacBook Air. But if i make any email changes on my MacBook Air the changes don't register on my other devices. Does anyone know what setting I need to modify on my computer to get this fixed?

I also have an iCloud email on all these devices and those synch up perfectly so the issue has something to do with the gmail specifically (I think).

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 1:27 PM

dhvan,

That's great that the issue has been isolated to the security software. For this, we recommend reaching out to Bitdefender support to look into the settings with you. Here's a link to their support site, just in case: Welcome to Bitdefender Support

Thanks again for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 28, 2020 8:11 AM in response to dhvan

dhvan,

Thanks for checking the webmail site to see if the issue happens there. Since it doesn't, this definitely seems isolated to the Mac. Do you use any security software or the Firewall? If so, does disabling those help? If not, instead of deactivating the account, fully remove it from the Mail app and add it back to see if that refreshes the connections: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Let us know how that goes.

Take care!

Aug 28, 2020 10:30 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

It looks like it has something to do with bitdefender. Here's what happened:

• I turned off bitdefender. Gmail still didn't synch correctly.
  • I completely removed the gmail account (instead of just turning it off). Then reinstalled it. Everything worked.
  • I turned bitdefender back on. It stopped synching correctly.

Then I repeated the above just to be sure and got the same thing. So it looks like something with a recent bitdefender update (or the settings I'm using) are causing the problem. Any solutions other than don't use that app if I want things to synch?

Aug 27, 2020 6:04 PM in response to dhvan

Hey dhvan,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, your Gmail account in the Mail app isn't syncing with your iPhone or iPad. You've come to the right place for help with this! You mention everything syncs across devices as expected if using your iPhone or iPad. Have you also been able to test the behavior using the Gmail webmail site? Have you noticed if this happens when using a different Wi-Fi/network connection? Do the changes eventually come through on your iPhone and iPad, or does it never update the Mac activity? Does removing the account and adding it back seem to resolve the issue?

The more details you can provide the better the community can assist.

Cheers!

Aug 27, 2020 8:10 PM in response to MichelleT18

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the help. Yes, I tried the gmail website as well. That acts just like my phone and iPad and seems to be just fine. I have made changes on the Mail app and waited several hours to see if they registered on my other devices but the mods just never came through. I also deactivated my gmail account (going to Mail --> Accounts, selecting gmail, and then unchecking Mail) and then later reactivated it. That also didn't make a difference. The only thing I haven't done is use my computer on another network. Any thoughts?

Gmail from Apple Mail on a MacBook Air no longer synchs correctly. Did something change with Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.