Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"App cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID"

I recently bought a new Mac computer that has apps that need updating (Numbers, Keynotes, Garageband, iMovie and Pages). I keep getting this error when trying to update "_____ cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID".

It's a brand new Mac so I am confused how there is a different ID to the computer. How can I update these apps with my ID?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 8:10 AM

This question is asked every week, the solution is:

• close Keynote
  • click on the desktop to activate the Finder
  • go to the Go menu in the menu bar and select Applications
  • right click Keynote application and select Move to Trash
  • in the menu bar, go to Finder > Empty trash
  • open the App Store application found in the applications folder, sign in with your Apple ID, type " Keynote" in the search box then click the download button for Keynote

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 8:10 AM in response to amjersey2

This question is asked every week, the solution is:

• close Keynote
  • click on the desktop to activate the Finder
  • go to the Go menu in the menu bar and select Applications
  • right click Keynote application and select Move to Trash
  • in the menu bar, go to Finder > Empty trash
  • open the App Store application found in the applications folder, sign in with your Apple ID, type " Keynote" in the search box then click the download button for Keynote

Aug 29, 2020 6:46 AM in response to atyes

1 - Check you don't have another copy of pages stored on your Mac by using the search tool

If the Mac App Store shows "Get", there is no previous version installed on your Mac

If the Mac App Store shows "Open", there is a version already installed

2 - to change the Apple ID you are using in the App Store:

• Open the App Store application
  • Go to the menu: Store > Sign Out
  • Go to the menu: Store > Sign In
  • the entry box will now be clear to enter the Apple ID you want to use
  • type in your own Apple ID in the entry box
  • click on Sign In

• enter the password for that Apple ID in the entry box
  • click on Sign In

Aug 29, 2020 6:44 AM in response to atyes

There's another copy of it on your computer. Search for it, or open any Pages document, control-click it in the Dock, and choose Show in Finder.

Gary: In the event that someone customized their Mac with paid preloaded software, doing that will cause them to be charged for it; instead, the solution is described in this article.

(183569)

Aug 29, 2020 6:00 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hello,

I have this issue with Pages, I have already deleted it, emptied trash etc but the app store is only coming up with the option to update it. When I press update it makes me sign into the previous apple ID I was using (my parents one) which clearly is not what I want. I wish to download pages in its own right like any other app. (I am signed into the app store on my new apple ID)

Thanks in advance!

"App cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.